Chapter 43: Torpe

Torpe (n.) A man who is desperately in love with a woman, but cannot admit his feelings or approach her.

Arabella's P.O.V.

Luxury vehicles, extravagant venues, and priceless clothing were uncommon to me and many others, but to the Italian Mafia, it is what made up their standard way of living. The streets were not shy of exotic cars or of men and women dressed in tailored fabric; I was one of those women, but my diamond necklace masked my common and ordinary life.

"Dante, will you be coming with us?" I asked as I noticed he wasn't following us to the venue.

"No, Ms. Aetos. I will have to stand guard by the vehicles tonight," he answered as he leaned on the hood of his car. I furrowed my brows as I looked down the street and saw lines of expensive supercars parked on the road.

"It looks like everyone here already owns an exotic car, I don't think anyone will take interest in stealing one of ours," I laughed.

"Just following Nico's orders," he said as he gave me a small smile.

"What a horrible way to live..." I said softly.

"We can ignore Nicolo's absurd demands for one night. Come," I said as I held out my arm, gesturing him to link his arm with mine.

"But, Ms. Aetos-"

"Or, I suppose we could just stand out here in the cold," I said, shrugging my shoulders.

"Come with me, it'll be alright," I whispered to him as I saw that he was filled with hesitance while his eyes nervously scanned the empty streets.

A wide smile came across my lips as he finally placed his arm around mine and guided us up the steps to the venue. We walked through the glass doors and our eyes widened at the costly decorations and grandiose banquet hall.

I looked up at Dante and saw that he was just as amazed as I was, his eyes glimmered from the warm golden lighting and his graying hair shined under the numerous chandeliers. One would be surprised to learn of Dante's old age, but his refined looks made it seem as if he aged like a bottle of fine wine.

"Is this your first time?" I asked him as we walked towards Nicolo's table.

"Yes," he whispered.

The long rectangular table, covered in a white tablecloth, was filled with familiar people who now looked shocked as we approached the table. Nicolo suddenly stood up from his chair and held a scowl across his face once he saw Dante by my side.

"I thought I told you to watch the cars," Nicolo said.

"Your Maserati is fine, Nicolo. If you care for it so much you can stand out there yourself," I scoffed as I pulled out two chairs for Dante and I to sit in.

Gabe's snickering could be heard from across the table as I looked up and saw Emersyn with an amused smile across her lips. Nicolo continued to glare at me, but remained silent as his shock kept him from finding the right words to say.

"Oh. My. Gosh," Lorelei whispered as she began to flatten out her dress and brush away her curly hair from her face.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Don't turn around now, but a really hot guy just walked down the stairs," she said excitedly.

Dismissing her request, I turned around and scanned the crowd to find the person who caught Lorelei's attention. My eyes widened at the man that stood at the bottom of the stairs, leaving me speechless as I held my breath.

"Alexander," I gasped as I stood up from the table and walked towards his direction.

"Wait! You know him?" I heard Lorelei yell out from behind me.