Chapter 42: Soigne

Soigne (adj.) Possessing an aura of sophistication in dress, manner, or design; presented or prepared with an elegance attained through care for the finer details.

Arabella's P.O.V.

It was as if I was suffocating.

My chest felt tight and the walls of my throat began to close in as I struggled to take deep breaths. I opened my eyes, but I was blinded by a bright light. My panic subdued as I came to my senses and realized I was not in danger as I had been ever since I met Nicolo.

Nicolo's heavy arm was draped over my chest as his hand laid against my neck. He held me close to him as his face was snuggled against the crook of my neck, in the mess of my hair, and his light snores were a clear sign that he was still in a deep sleep. I began to lift his arm away from my chest and escape from his grasp. I brought his arm back down to the mattress, but he suddenly grabbed my wrist and shot up in bed as he reached under his pillow to pull out a gun and hold it under my chin.

"It's just me, Nicolo!" I said loudly while my hair fell around my face as I tried to hold myself up.

"Fuck, Arabella. I'm sorry, non sono abituato a questo," he mumbled as he placed his gun on the dresser and lied back down (I am not used to this).

He pulled me back into bed and my back hit the mattress as I failed to escape from his grasp. He placed his arm over my chest again as I began to control my rapid breaths.

"Were you going to leave me?" he mumbled into my shoulder as he pulled me closer into him.

"I was just going to get out of bed," I said softly to him as I placed my hand over his arm and began to trace the outline of his tattoos.

His breathing became steady and his arm became more relaxed as he started to drift off into sleep again. I slightly lifted his arm and slipped away from his hold as I got out of bed. Before I could leave, he grabbed my hand and squeezed tightly before letting go.

I walked out of the bathroom after freshening up and made my way towards Nicolo. I pulled up the blanket so that it covered his bare chest and quietly left the room before I woke him up again. I began to walk through the hallway and followed the sound of voices as I made my way down the stairs.

"Good morning," I said to Emersyn and Lorelei as I reached the kitchen. I smiled at them, but they began to exchange worried looks as they remained silent.

"Come sit, Arabella," Lorelei said as she patted the stool next to her.

"Is everything alright?" I asked as I looked at them both.

"Yes..." Lorelei muttered.

"...well," she mumbled.

"Lorelei, non ora, cara," Emersyn said sternly (Not now, dear).

"Per favore Mamma Em. Nicolo le ha già comprato un vestito!" Lorelei pleaded (Please Mamma Em. Nicolo already bought her a dress).

"What is it?" I asked as I furrowed my brows.

"Will you please go to the ball with us?" she blurted out quickly.

"A ball?" I asked.

"No," a loud booming voice said from behind us.

"Non verrà con noi," Nicolo said as he made his away around the counter and glared at Lorelei (She will not be coming with us).

"Per favore Nico. Anche la Mamma Em vuole che venga," she begged (Please Nico. Even Mamma Em wants her to come with us).

I watched as Nicolo exchanged looks between Lorelei and Emersyn. He seemed conflicted as his mother nodded at him with a pleading smile.

"When is the ball?" I asked aloud.