Chapter 29: Phthartic Part: 2

Phthartic (adj.) Deadly; destructive.

*WARNING: Violent content. Will include graphic descriptions of violence. Proceed at your own discretion.*

Nicolo's P.O.V.

I stared at the man as flashes of Arabella crossed my mind and her voice that pleaded to spare his life filled me with inconsistent feelings. Will she be able to forgive me? What she does not know, will not harm her, I thought.

But will she forgive me? I asked myself again as I was beginning to feel conflicted with my own thoughts.

I cannot take advantage of her kindness and expect her to forgive me for something she had asked me not to do.

I cannot treat her unfairly. I won't do this to her, I thought as I released my grip around Giovanni's neck and watched as he stared back in confusion.

I formed my hand into a fist and swung forcefully towards his face. I repeated my jabs as I was starting to feel troubled with myself. I despised the way she made me feel; hatred rushed through me as I was starting to lose control and felt powerless under her request to not kill him.

"Nico!" Leone shouted, pulling me out of the bitterness and resentment I felt towards her.

I looked down at my hands and watched as blood began to trickle out of the cuts that have formed on my knuckles. I turned my gaze towards Giovanni and became disappointed at Leone for stopping me before I could feel satisfied with the injuries I have caused. He struggled to maintain his vision as his swollen eyelid remained shut. His disfigured face was stained with blood as some flowed down from his broken nose and a large gash on his forehead.

I wanted him to be on the verge of dying, just enough for him to still feel pain while he struggles to stay alive. I am not done with you yet.

"The woman..." I said aloud as I caught my breath.

"She has a name," I continued on as I picked up my knife and held it against his face.

"But, once I tell you, you will not speak of it, her name will never leave your filthy fucking mouth. Do you understand?" I asked as I brought the edge of the knife towards the corner of his mouth and slid it down slowly, slicing through his lips as I felt the sharp blade grind against his teeth.

"I said do you understand?" I yelled out and watched as he frantically nodded his head.

"Good," I said lowly as I slashed the knife across his mouth again, forming an 'X' over his lips.

"I am only telling you her name because, Giovanni..." I paused to make sure he was still conscious and listening.

"If you survive tonight, she will be the reason why you live to see another day. She will be the reason for your next breath, your next step, as I let you walk away."

"If I ever find you in the same room as her, I will kill you."

"If I ever find out that you have touched her again, I will kill you," I seethed as I stabbed his last working hand with my knife and smirked as his only response was an agonizing yell.

"If I even have a feeling that you are thinking about her, I will kill you. Do you understand me?" I asked as I pulled out the knife.

"Yes," he attempted to mumble out.

"Her name is Arabella," I said as I began to untie the ropes.

"Learn it, remember it, respect it."

I pulled him up by his elbow to avoid grabbing his hand that became slightly detached, and dragged him towards the edge of the pier.

"Since I am letting you go, I will give you two options if you want to live," I offered to him as we peered at the dark and threatening waves below us.