Chapter 25: Gibigianna

Gibigianna (n.) Figuratively, a woman who flaunts her charm or who wishes to dazzle you with her elegance.

Arabella's P.O.V.

"Are you sure you want to do this, Arabella?" Dante asked as he carefully drove down a winding road that hugged the side of a cliff.

"Yes, I want to help," I answered assertively to assure him.

"These men are dangerous, you don't know what you're getting yourself into."

"Could they possibly be any worse than Nicolo?" I asked jokingly, but his face remained emotionless.

"I don't think anyone can be shittier than Nico," Manny responded with bits of static in his voice as I listened to him through the earpiece.

"Don't worry, Bella, we won't let anything happen to you," Gabe added as he chuckled at Manny's remark.

The drive to Romano's resort was filled with uneasy silence. An aura of tension and apprehension surrounded Dante as we started our transition away from the barren coastline of Siracusa and into a small city. My heart raced along with the car as it sped towards the dominion of a rival mafia family. Dante's concern was beginning to stain and overwhelm my confidence as I was beginning to feel nervous, doubtful, and afraid.

Everything will be alright, I repeated to myself as I recovered my poise.

"We're here," Dante said as we approached a grand building.

The newly constructed resort was distinct from the rest of the city as it was surrounded by buildings that were aged by time and history. A look of disgust crossed my face as I thought about the people who owned this place; the resort is situated in one of the most beautiful cities in Sicily, but it is built upon the foundation of blood money, corruption, and criminality.

"Arabella," the concerned man called out as I was about to exit the car.

"I'll be right out here if you need me."

"Thank you Dante, I'll be alright," I said to him softly as I gave him one last smile before leaving.

I began to walk toward the building as the sound of lively laughter and chatter emerged from the crowds that lingered outside the entrance. I watched as some people stumbled down the stairs, slightly tipsy from the consumption of alcohol, while others rejoiced in the presence of family and friends.

"Once you walk through those doors, the casino and bar will be on your right," Gabe informed me.

I stopped in my tracks as I stood on the stone steps and placed my hand on the railing that was overtaken by climbing vines. My eyes gazed upwards towards the resort that soared high into the night sky; the skylights on the rooftop waved back and forth as spotlights lit up the obsidian clouds. I trailed my sight towards the entrance of the resort and found cameras in every corner, closely observing the guests that traveled through.

"Keep walking, Arabella. Don't draw in more attention that is not needed," Nicolo said sternly as I broke my stare away from the cameras.

I continued to walk towards the entrance and a gust of air brushed by me, causing me to frantically scramble for my hair as I gathered it to one side of my shoulder, concealing the device that hid in the crevice of my ear. I was engulfed in a strange scent as I walked through the entrance of the resort; a mix of alcohol mingled in the air with a familiar smell, it was pungent and nauseating; it's cocaine.

"So, what are we playing tonight?" Leone asked excitedly as I walked through the casino floor.

"Baccarat?"