Chapter 26: Cromulent Part: 1

Cromulent (n.) Appearing legitimate but actually being spurious.

Arabella's P.O.V.

He's just like Nicolo.

His eyes, although green, were passionless and glimmered with ruthlessness under the dim lighting of the bar. A scowl was painted upon his face as he studied me meticulously, incredulously, obscenely.

He's just not as handsome.

"Why does he keep staring at you like that?" Manny asked in a disgusted voice as the revolting man shamelessly trailed his gaze down towards my chest.

He's a pig.

"What is a fine woman like you doing in a place like this?" Giovanni asked.

"I am just trying to have a good time," I answered as I batted my eyelashes at him.

"Did you come alone?" he asked as he eyed me carefully.

"I did not."

"Don't fuck this up, Arabella," Nicolo warned as I tried to come up with a lie.

"Who are you with?"

"My soon-to-be ex-husband."

"He does not know that I caught him sleeping around with another woman in this resort," I answered while I kept my breathing steady and my eye sight directed towards him.

"So, the money is his," Giovanni said with a smirk.

"If he wants to play with my heart, then I believe it is only fair that I play around with his money."

"I applaud you for the hustle," he said as he leaned back into his chair.

"But, you bring your American M.I.T. shit into my casino, you're going to make me lose money."

"I am just playing the game, you cannot simply blame me for being good at something that others fail miserably at," I defended innocently as he glared at me.

"Tell me, what is your name?"

"I'm sorry?" I asked foolishly to stall for time as I tried to come up with a name.

"Your name, what is it?"

I broke eye contact with his harsh stare and began to frantically look around my surroundings to get an idea for a name.

Lamp.

Bartender.

Glass.

Jack Daniels.

Whiskey.

Hennessy.

Cognac.

"My name is Henley Daniels," I answered softly.

"Henley..." Giovanni repeated slowly as each syllable rolled off his tongue.

"I will not have my security guards escort you out, but let me buy you a drink, you are very tense."

"That would be lovely," I replied with a fake smile that immediately faded away as he walked towards the bartender.

"Hey, do you happen to be related to someone named Jack?" Gabe snickered.

I crossed my arms over my chest as I looked up at the corner of the room and gave the camera an unamused glare.

"You could've came up with a different last name! Like Smith, that's pretty common," Gabe defended himself as he chuckled.