Chapter 19: Metanoia

Metanoia (n.) The journey of changing one's mind, heart, self, or way of life.

Arabella's P.O.V.

The sound of light taps echoed around me as I stood in a dark abyss. My feet were stuck in place as I looked around the black void that expanded infinitely in all directions around me. I was alone, until I noticed a dark figure approaching me slowly; it had no face or any features that I could identify, but it continued to walk closer. I was forced to stare at the ghostly presence as I was stuck here, an ominous black mist surrounded the dark figure with every step it took. The sound of light taps soon turned into violent and forceful pattering as the figure held up an object towards me, a gun. I closed my eyes and waited anxiously for the bullet to hit me; I held my breath when I heard a loud gunshot go off.

I opened my eyes to the sound of thunder, bringing me out of my nightmare, and a bright flash of lightning illuminated my surroundings, allowing me to look at my bedroom ceiling for only a second, until it was dark again. I lied in bed, afraid of closing my eyes in fear of being greeted with the dark figure again. The sound of raindrops hitting my window brought me out of my drowsy state and I soon felt pain radiating from my right arm. I sat up in bed and brought my hand towards my arm, but instead of feeling my soft smooth skin, my fingers came in contact with a lumpy cotton fabric.

The sound of the storm becoming stronger made my heart race as I was scared to be alone. I made my way slowly to the bedroom door and my head began to pound and throb in pain. I held onto the doorknob for a few seconds to regain my balance, and I began to walk out into the hallway as I placed my hand on the wall for support. My body shivered and my skin raised with small bumps as I noticed I was wearing a short black nightgown and a white cotton bandage that covered my wound.

Once I finally made my way to Nicolo's door I laid my head against the doorframe as I began to feel lightheaded from my short walk here, and I started to knock lightly against the wood. A few seconds had gone by but Nicolo finally opened the door; my eyes widened as I noticed he was shirtless and only wore a towel that sat dangerously low on his waist. His chest had a few scars but my eyes traveled down to his well defined abs and enticing v-line that unfortunately met the top of his towel. His body is s-.

"Arabella," he said lowly, bringing me out my thoughts as I looked up at him and saw beads of water drip down his wet hair.

"I can't sleep," I muttered as he took my arm and guided me towards his bed.

"Give me a second," he replied as he rushed back into his bathroom.

I was fumbling with the end of my dress as Nicolo walked out of the doorway wearing only gray sweatpants.

"I didn't change you," he said as he sat down beside me and ran his hand through his hair, causing some droplets to fall onto his silk sheets and my skin.

"The hospital clothes looked uncomfortable, so I had Viviana put on something else for you."

"Thank you," I said softly as I looked down at my hands, trying not to stare at his shirtless body.

"Do we need to change your bandage?" he asked as he grabbed my arm lightly and looked at it closely.

"Come," he said as he stood up and held out his hand for me to take and guided us to the bathroom.

He lifted me up from my waist and sat me down on the counter as he began to pull out some gauzes and other supplies.

"Your wound is still bleeding a bit so we'll have to clean it up," he said as he stood between my legs and began to unwrap the bandage from my arm.

"You look like you know what you're doing," I said as I watched him clean around my stitches with a towel and began to open up the packages of gauze.

"I've done this many times," he chuckled as he focused on my arm.