Chapter 32: Arcadian

Arcadian (adj.) Idyllically innocent; simple and untroubled by fear or worry.

Arabella's P.O.V.

It was the feeling of happiness that encouraged me to follow the sound of laughter that echoed throughout the halls. After changing into more comfortable clothing, including a pair of jeans and a sweater, I decided to leave the room.

For once, everything began to feel normal as there were no conversations about moles, drugs, or death. My worry for Alexander settled overtime as I was beginning to put trust into his words that he would return, and I was starting to feel content with being around Nicolo and his men.

A few minutes have gone by since I've turned many corners and wandered through empty halls, looking for the staircases that Lorelei had guided me through. My search came to an abrupt stop as I turned a corner and bumped into a man that stood in the way.

"I am so sorry, sir," I said as I looked up at the man. His dark hair, speckled with hints of gray, was slicked back and laid just below his ears. His finely kept beard covered parts of his tattoos that were inked into his neck, giving him a sophisticated, but rugged look.

"It's Mr. Mazzerelli," he corrected as he looked down at me in a disparaging manner.

"I'm Arabella," I said as I held out my hand for him to shake, but he disregarded my gesture.

"Never once in my life have I thought a member of the Aetos family would step foot in my estate, but here you are..." he said in a scornful tone.

"You know about my family?" I asked, wondering if he knew my parents.

"A tragic accident killed both of your parents, leaving you behind as the child no one knew about. A very disheartening past, I am surprised you made it this far," he responded as I broke eye contact due to his blunt words.

"Keep your head up, Aetos," he said as he gripped my jaw, forcing me to look at him.

"Make yourself at home, but don't get too comfortable," he sneered as he watched my eyes widen in fear.

"Just like my son, I will not trust a Greek," he said as he pushed me away, causing me to stumble backwards.

"I'll be watching my back for as long as you are here, I suggest you do the same," he threatened before walking off.

My heart continued to race as his words replayed in my mind. Nicolo's father's lack of trust in me made me wonder what could have possibly happened between our families. I quickly found my way downstairs to avoid facing the daunting man again. I followed the sound of voices and found everyone in the kitchen, gathered around a large marble table.

"Are you alright?" Nicolo whispered to me as I sat down on a stool beside him.

"I'm fine," I answered as I gave him a smile, but his concern continued to show as he furrowed his brows.

"Arabella!" Lorelei called out.

"You're here! We can finally go shopping now," she said excitedly.

"No, ha bisogno di riposare," Nicolo answered for me (She needs to rest).

"Ma, perché? It's barely even noon," Lorelei groaned (But, why?).

"Domani festeggeremo il suo compleanno," Manny said as I watched his sister's eyes light up (We will be celebrating her birthday tomorrow).

"Your birthday is tomorrow and I'm just now finding out about this?" she squealed as I saw Nicolo rub his jaw in frustration.

"It is..." I said hesitantly as I looked around the room in confusion.