Chapter 44: Epiphany

Epiphany (n.) A moment of sudden revelation or insight.

Arabella's P.O.V

The sound of cellos in the classical ensemble rose to a crescendo as Manny and I clumsily waltzed across the ballroom floor. Our amateur sequence of steps fell out of rhythm with the music as our laughter filled our ears. Manny held my waist firmly and I gripped his hand tightly as he suddenly dipped me when the music came to an end.

"Did you really think I was going to drop you?" he laughed as he grinned from ear to ear.

"You were stepping on my feet all night, I didn't think you were coordinated enough to pull that off," I teased. He carefully helped me back up and I chuckled at his curly hair that was once combed back neatly, but now covered his forehead with some ringlets nearly reaching his eyes.

"I need a fucking drink after all of that. Would you like something?" he asked.

Before I answered I peered over his shoulder and noticed Nicolo standing at the bottom of the staircase with a pensive look across his face as he stared at me.

"No, thank you, I'm alright for now," I said to him with a smile and he nodded before walking away. I turned towards Nicolo and rolled my eyes when he twisted his face into a wry expression.

"Do I look that bad?" I asked as I stood in front of him.

"You've had better days," he muttered playfully as he brought his finger towards my cheek and tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear.

"Let's step outside," he said and I furrowed my brows as his words were laced with nervousness. I followed him through the back entrance of the venue and he held my hand as he guided us down the stairs. We reached a balcony and stood before a stone railing that was covered in strings of lights.

I looked out into the sea and felt mists of water reach my face as the onshore breeze reached the land. My eyes trailed down to our hands that were still interlocked together and I was starting to feel the tension between us as Nicolo clenched his jaw and held my hand tighter. I began to feel a sense of guilt as I allowed this intimacy to grow between us. I could not bear the thought of continuing this night without informing him of what was to come tomorrow.

"Nicolo," I sighed out as I slipped my fingers away from his hand.

"I am thinking about leaving tomorrow."

"What do you mean?" he asked with a hint of anger in his voice.

"I plan on going back home, to Rome, with Alexander," I explained. I looked up at him and his eyes held a glint of disbelief, as if I had betrayed him.

"H-have I done something wrong?" he stuttered as he struggled to understand.

"No," I gasped out as I quickly shook my head.

"But, my life is not with you, Nicolo. I was never meant to be a part of this. There is nothing for me here."

"Vorrei sapere come resisterti. Non posso perderti," he whispered as he took my hand and pulled me closer (I wish I knew how to resist you. I cannot lose you).

"It is torturous to have trouble finding the reason and understanding for the desire that I have for you, but all I know is that I am consumed by you, Arabella."

His hands slowly slid down and generously held my waist. I took a step forward, allowing my chest to meet his body as I stood on the tips of my toes. My hands were placed against his chest and I looked up into his dark eyes that were now masked with a burning desire. His parted lips let out a nervous breath as he searched my eyes for any discomfort, but his patience soon faded away as lust took over. He leaned down and the space between our lips became smaller. His forehead met mine as he was giving me one last chance to pull away, but I was dazed by this sudden passion.