Chapter 40: Forelsket

Forelsket (n.) The euphoria you experience when you are first falling in love.

Nicolo's P.O.V.

I held her body in my arms as her pale complexion felt cold against my skin. I gently set her down against a wooden crate and stood up to find a safe exit for us to escape through. My anger became suppressed with a haze of guilt and regret as I was not able to keep her safe. I began to collect the guns from the dead men that I shot, but I suddenly heard commands being shouted as a group of people barged through the door.

The team walked through in an orderly manner and wore black protective gear as they held rifles in their hands. They were organized, skilled, tactical.

These aren't my fucking men, I thought as I stood in front of Arabella and aimed my gun towards them.

"Drop your weapon!" a man shouted at me but I continued to stare down the barrel of my gun.

These can't be Romano's men and they're not military, I began to think as I was not familiar with the organization that stood in front of me. Their moves are safe and calculated, as if they were performing under strict orders.

Being too safe can get you killed, I scoffed as I saw a dark figure move in the corner of my eye. They began to move quietly behind the team and I noticed it was Manny as he stepped into the light and held his gun against someone's head.

"Why don't you do the honors and put your weapon down first?" Manny said to the man as he became visibly nervous.

"You're surrounded!" I heard Leone's voice yell out from behind me.

I watched as my men suddenly walked through the side doors of the warehouse as they pointed their gun towards the team. Footsteps were heard against the metal roof as I looked up to find Ilaria pointing a sniper through an open clearing. Dante and Leone walked up and stood beside me as we began to outnumber and encircle the group.

"Put down your weapons and we won't shoot!" Leone negotiated.

The man in front of Manny suddenly turned around, but Manny was too quick for the man as he grabbed his rifle and shot him in the calf, causing him to fall to his knees.

"Who do you work for?" Gabe asked aloud.

I furrowed my brows as we watched the team turn towards each other as they hesitated to answer, as if they were all keeping a secret that only they knew about.

"We cannot disclose that information with you," a man spoke up nervously.

I looked at them closely as their body language became a clear sign that they were uncomfortable. They're not from here, I thought as I lowered my weapon.

I made my way towards Arabella and gently picked up her unconscious body as I brought her out for the men to see. Their eyes widened at her condition and I smirked as they became more attentive and aimed their rifles towards me. I pulled out an empty revolver from my jacket and held it against her head as I pulled down the safety.

"Is this who you're looking for?" I asked as I pushed the metal tip of the gun against her temple.

"Wait, stop!" a man yelled out.

I smiled smugly as I watched him slowly put down his rifle and raise both of his hands in surrender as he stood back up. The rest of his men followed along and placed their rifles on the ground.

"Fucking, Greeks," I mumbled to Leone and Dante as I lowered the gun from Arabella's head.

Suddenly, we all turned our attention towards the sound of footsteps slowly dragging along the gravel floor. A man appeared from behind the group and walked towards the center of the warehouse with his hands in his trench coat pockets.