Chapter 9: Mulligrubs

Mulligrubs (adj.) Despondency, low spirits; a state of depression.

*WARNING: Violent Mature Content. The content below will include a scene with rope around the neck and forceful drowning. Proceed at your own discretion.*

Alexander's P.O.V.

It pained me to look at her when we walked away; she was terrified, hurt, and confused, but I've kept the truth away, for her own safety. She deserves to know what is happening, but it is not my place to tell her; I could not tell her, even if I wanted to; I was under strict orders.

It was not part of the plan to be caught by Nicolo and his men; images of her getting hurt crossed my mind every second, and it made me feel like shit knowing that I brought her into this fucked up mess, knowing that I could not do anything to stop her pain.

She's a strong girl, but the events she has gone through and the deaths she has witnessed is enough to break and traumatize her. She has pulled herself out of desolation before, she can do it again, I tried to reassure myself.

"Dante, venga con me," I heard Nicolo call out to one of his men and watched as he started to follow us towards his office (Come with me).

I scoffed, Nicolo bringing another guard into the office just proves his lamentable naivety. To think that I am a threat is purely pathetic; I am simply outnumbered and weaponless, to try and pull something on him in this situation would be foolish and place Arabella in harm's way. Vlákas, I thought as I stared at the back of their heads (Dumbass).

When we reached his office I made my way towards the leather chair and sat down, ignoring the presence of Leone and Manuele as I walked in. Nicolo made his way around his desk and reached down, pulling out a file and slamming it on the table in front of me.

I looked at the file and read the tab, Alexander Aetos.

"So, Alexander, we all know your last name is not Davis..." Nicolo spoke out as he began to light a cigar.

"...please, enlighten us with your plan here," he said as he let out a puff of smoke.

"My plan does not concern you," I said as I leaned back and crossed my legs.

"The only thing you have to know is that Arabella has nothing to do with this," I sighed out, tired of having to repeat myself.

"You think I haven't figured that out already?" Nicolo asked as he glared back at me.

"I think your head is so far up your ass, you can't see what's really happening here," I said with a condescending sneer.

My smile grew wider as I felt one of Nicolo's men press a gun against the back of my head.

"Why are you lying to her?" Manuele asked, stepping away from the wall he was leaning on.

"There are some things she doesn't know," I replied as I continued to glare at Nicolo, not breaking eye contact.

"She's been telling the truth then," I heard Leone mumble out.

"What does Cairo want you to do with her?" Nicolo asked and my glare hardened at the sound of that name.

"As a boss for one of the world's most powerful mafias, I would think you would have figured this out by now, unless you're truly just that dense," I responded looking away from him as I felt the metal tip of the gun push into my head harder.

"I want to hear the answer from you," he said as his eyes lowered at me.

"I cannot tell you," I said as I shrugged my shoulders and shook my head.