Chapter 31: Ohana

Ohana (n.) Family.

Arabella's P.O.V.

A mother's love is so pure and genuine, it is what guides and supports us as we get older. The nurturing affection is passed on and molds us into caring people.

Or so I thought.

The woman that walked down the stone stairs, with a hint of excitement in her strides, made her way towards us as she held a loving smile across her face.

This could not possibly be the mother of a heartless killer, I thought as I watched Nicolo welcome her with a warm embrace.

"Il mio bambino," she cooed as she pinched his cheeks (My baby).

"Ciao mamma," Nicolo responded in an embarrassed tone.

Her brown eyes were filled with adoration as she looked up at him and cupped his face in her gentle grasp. A sense of joy and delight was displayed on her face with a wide grin, but it soon disappeared as she looked over his shoulder and made eye contact with me.

"Is that her?" she asked angrily and I frowned as I was beginning to feel unwelcomed.

"Yes, she-," Nicolo began to say, but was cut off when his mother flicked his forehead.

"The doctor told me everything," she huffed as she glared at her son who began to rub his head.

"Perché l'hai lasciata andare da sola?" she scolded (Why did you let her go alone).

"We have the strongest men in all of Italia and you let her go by herself! Hai perso la testa?" (Have you lost your mind).

"I thought I raised you better!" she snapped as she pulled him down by his ear.

"I'm sorry mamma, but-," Nicolo winced, but she let out a disappointed sigh as she held up her index finger to stop him from responding, gesturing to him that his explanation would not suffice.

"And why do you look as if you dressed up in the dark? I did not teach you to dress up like this!" she exclaimed as I bit my lip while she pointed to the untucked hem of Nicolo's shirt that covered his lower half.

She lightly pushed him aside and began to walk towards me with a sympathetic smile. As she got closer, her dark eyes began to remind me of Nicolo's, but they were not filled with hostility. It was something that was not to be confused with intimidation, but the fierce gaze that she held was enough to tell me that she is a powerful woman.

"Ciao, cara," she said as she lightly kissed both sides of my cheek and pulled me in for a hug (Dear).

"Hi, it's nice to meet you, Mrs. Mazzerelli," I greeted as I gently hugged her in return, as to try and not wrinkle the suit she wore.

"Please, just call me Emersyn."

"Thank you for saving my son's life," she said as she carefully placed her hands on my shoulders.

"And yes, the doctor told me about this too," she said as she turned around to glare at Nicolo.

She faced me again and brought a smile to her lips that reached the corner of her eyes. Her wispy bangs met the top of her dark lashes as she looked at me warmheartedly. I returned a kind smile, as I was not sure what to say, and began to fidget with the ribbon of my dress as my awkwardness started to take over.

"Sei così bella..." she said as she took a strand of my hair and twirled it around her finger (You are so beautiful).

"...e coraggioso," she added as she took my hand into hers (And brave).