Chapter 14: Euphoria

Euphoria (n.) A feeling of intense happiness and excitement.

Arabella's P.O.V.

I stared at the sharp blade in horror as it tauntingly shimmered under the blue lights as I looked at my faint reflection in the stainless steel material. The wooden doorframe splintered under the impact of the blade and my eyes trailed down the wood to find multiple slashes. This has happened before, I thought to myself as my heart rate quickened and I turned to look at Nicolo with worry in my eyes but a smirk found its way across his lips.

"Nico! My friend, how are you?" a woman said as she stood up from a velvet booth and made her way towards us.

What in the mafia is this? I asked myself as I still felt bewildered and nauseated from the event that just happened seconds ago.

"Feeling relieved knowing that your aim has gotten worse from since we last met," he replied as he engulfed the woman in a hug.

"You know I don't miss, Nico," she said with a wink as he let her go.

"And who might this be?" she asked as she eyed me up and down as she walked closer.

"Will you be sharing this one with me tonight?" she asked amorously as she stared at me and pulled her dagger from the wall.

"No, not this time," Nicolo replied as he walked over to the velvet booth to join Manny and Leone. I gulped and smiled nervously as she walked closer.

"I'm Ilaria," she said as she stood in front of me. I looked at her closely and noticed that freckles were speckled along her cheeks and nose which was studded with a silver piercing. Her green eyes almost looked amber in the blue lighting and her blonde hair laid gracefully in waves just below her shoulders.

"I'm Arabella," I said as I stuck out my hand for her to shake, but instead she grabbed my shoulders and leaned in to kiss both sides of my cheeks lightly.

"Don't be so formal, any friend of Nico is a friend of mine," she said as she took my hand and pulled me towards the booth.

I sat beside Nicolo and crossed my legs as I watched Ilaria sit across from us and drape her arm over a woman beside her.

"You are nervous," Nicolo said lowly, grabbing my attention, but I just turned to him and smiled lightly.

"Drink this," he said as he brought his glass closer to me.

"What is it?" I asked him cautiously.

"You'll find out," he replied, placing the glass in my hand.

"Just a sip, Arabella," he said as he watched me look at the glass hesitantly.

I took a sip of the clear liquid and scrunched my nose up in disgust as I felt it burn the back of my throat and coat my tongue in a foul taste. I passed the glass back to him as he chuckled and I looked at the glass bottle that sat on the table in front of us, 'Russo-Baltique', the label read. Vodka.

"You don't like it?" he asked as he placed a finger under my chin and slowly swiped his thumb across a drop of vodka that escaped my lips.

"No," I breathed out shakily as his touch sent tingles throughout my body.

"The new shipment came in, Nico," Ilaria said, causing Nicolo to break eye contact with me.

"Show me," he responded as he set his glass on the table and leaned over, placing his arms on his knees.

Ilaria got up from where she was sitting and made her way towards us with a briefcase in her hand. She sat down beside me as she began to unlock the case, and my eyes widened when it was opened. Two black handguns were placed on one side while multiple silencers were organized on the other side.