Chapter 52: Piggesnye

Piggesnye (n.) Someone who is pretty but not particularly bright.

Nicolo's P.O.V.

My footsteps dragged along the corridor of the estate as I made my way towards the meeting room, contemplating the burden that I have brought upon myself. The pleas of her begging me to trust her continued to replay in my mind as I struggled to accept that I willingly delivered her into the hands of someone who wanted her dead.

She had trusted me with her life, to keep her safe, but my reckless judgment had led me to abandon her, even when she spoke of the truth. She had always been honest with me, but I have been too cynical to believe that someone like her, someone so good, so pure, could exist in this world without any ill-intentioned motives.

The sound of my men's voices surrounded me while I entered the room and made my way towards the end of the table, dismissing the greetings that I received as I thought about how I would deliver this news to my men.

"Here," Leone said, catching me off guard as he slid a small object towards me, once I sat down.

"What is this?" I asked while I observed the piece between my fingers.

"It's a tracking chip. I caught our mole trying to slip one into my phone before she took off," Leone sighed as he leaned back into his chair.

"Who knows how many of those chips were planted, there could be a shit ton," Gabe mumbled. It's possible that one was placed into my vehicle, exposing the location of my safehouse, I thought as my fist tightened around the chip.

"How do we know that Romano is working with Cairo?" I asked my men.

"She left her laptop. We were able to go through her messages and email threads between Romano and the Greeks. The evidence is all here," Manny spoke out.

"We'll discuss more of this once everyone is ready for the meeting," Leone said while we observed more of my men shuffling through the doors.

"Is Bella on her way?" Manny asked excitedly with bright eyes and a slight smile along his lips.

I clenched my jaw as I felt a painful ache within my chest at the sound of her name. I glanced toward the empty seat beside me, the seat Arabella would have taken, then glanced back towards Manny. His brows furrowed as he waited for my response, but he suspected something was wrong as I struggled to answer his simple question.

"Where is she?" Alexander asked from across the table. His alarmed voice had caused the crowded room to fall silent. I could feel the stares of my men burning into my guilty skin, but I never broke eye contact with Manny.

His eyes were widened with trepidation, it was as if he knew what I had done, even without exchanging a single word with him. It must be clear to see the apprehension and dread which overwhelmed me in this moment. It was almost painful to see my closest man, my brother, lose his composure from fear, as I watched him begin to shake his head slowly, refusing to believe what happened to Arabella.

"Where is Arabella?" Alexander asked and suddenly held up his gun towards me. My men exchanged confused glances between each other as they were hesitant to restrict the man who pointed a gun at me, but the room remained still as no one dared to move.

I slowly glanced around the room, observing my men who showed troubled and worried looks across their faces, not for me, but for Arabella. It was at this moment I realized she had made an impact on all of our lives, I had made my mistake a burden, not only to me, but to them. Lastly, I turned to Manny and sighed once I saw his glossy eyes and trembling lips.

"She was framed," I said aloud as I watched Manny's concern transition into anger.

"What does that mean?" Alexander asked with a shaky voice as I heard him switch off the safety of the gun.