Chapter 11: Inure

Inure (v.) To accept or grow accustomed to something undesirable.

Arabella's P.O.V.

After leaving Nicolo's office, I wandered through the halls to try and find Alexander. I needed answers from him; I wanted to know the truth. Could it be possible? I thought to myself, thinking about the many years that I have spent alone.

My blood connected me to a syndicate of dangerous people, but my heart beat rapidly when the thought of having a sibling crossed my mind. I was not sure how to feel with the thought of this; I felt delighted to possibly have someone I could call family, after I have lost mine years ago, but at the same time I felt troubled and angry that we have been kept away from each other for so long.

Why would my parents keep us separated? Why did it take 23 years for us to meet? My mind was filled with hundreds of questions, but I came to a stop when I saw Alexander sitting in the kitchen. I began to take deep breaths and made my way towards him.

"The photographs in my locket are not of my parents..." I said aloud as my heart began to race.

"They're pictures of us from when we were younger," I said as I watched Alexander carefully as he stared back at me and pressed his lips into a line.

"The engravings on the back are not my initials..." I said as I began to walk closer to him.

"But they're letters that stand for our names," I finished as I sat down beside him.

"And your eyes..." I continued as I stared into his blue orbs.

"They're the same as mom's," he said, confirming my surmise.

I nodded as a tear slid down my cheek and I smiled at him as I started to remember her beautiful eyes. Just like mom's, I thought to myself.

"You are my sister, Arabella," he said as he laced his fingers together on the countertop.

"Why did they keep us away?" I managed to ask between my uncontrollable sobs.

"There are many things that you don't know and there are answers I cannot give you," he said quietly.

"Our parents are dead and I have been alone for so long," I said as I looked at him with tears streaming down my face.

"I know Arabella, it's alright. You have me; we have each other now. I'll always be here for you," he whispered into my hair as he engulfed me in a hug.

I laid my head against his shoulder and for the first time in many years I felt at peace. I no longer felt envious of the mothers that brought their children to the park, or of the old couples that roamed around the city together, or the people that sat with their family members at restaurants; I felt content. Although I met Alexander a few days ago, I felt glad that I had him as my brother.

I took a deep breath as I tried to control my breathing and my eyes trailed over Alexander's hand that sat on the counter. I brought my hand towards his wrist and I traced the black ink with my fingertips.

"You have a tattoo of an eagle," I said lightly.

"Everyone in the Aetos family has one."

"Will I have to get one too?"

"Only if you want to," he chuckled lightly and I smiled as I heard his laughter.

"I have to go back to Greece to handle some business," he said breaking the silence.

"When do we leave?" I asked as I looked at him.

"You are not coming with me, Arabella. I have to go alone," he said sternly.