Chapter 37: Smultronstalle

Smultronstalle (n.) "Place of wild strawberries." A special place discovered, treasured, returned to for solace and relaxation; a personal idyll free from stress or sadness.

Arabella's P.O.V.

Be ready by noon. -N.M.

I sat up in bed as I placed Nicolo's note back on the nightstand and grabbed the painkillers he had set out for me. Memories from last night came back in pieces as I struggled to recall what happened once I finally left the bed. Minutes passed by as I waited for the water in the shower to turn hot, hoping that it would ease my throbbing headache.

I decided to let my hair air dry as I slipped on a brown plaid skirt and a crème colored sweater along with my knee-high boots. I placed the smartwatch that Nicolo had bought me around my wrist and grabbed my purse as I put my phone and wallet inside.

Mornings were quiet and peaceful in the estate, but the silence throughout the empty hallways was disturbed by the sound of my heels clicking against the stone floors. I slowly walked down the staircase, wondering if anyone was awake, but I saw no one in sight.

"Oh, hello, Arabella!" Emersyn greeted as she suddenly walked through the front doors of the mansion and grabbed a bottle of water.

"Good morning, Emersyn," I said with a smile as I reached the last step.

"I see you're ready to go out for lunch with my son," she said lightheartedly and I chuckled as I nodded my head.

"Everyone else is still asleep, but I've been working on my garden outside. Come look," she said as I followed her out the doors.

"They're beautiful," I gasped as I gazed at the flowers she collected.

"I'm cutting them back just in time for winter, but I have so many, I was thinking of discarding some of them," she said as she pointed to the stack of flowers along the driveway.

"May I?" I asked aloud as she began to walk away.

"Yes, of course! Take as much as you want," she said as she went back to tend to her garden.

I walked over to the flowers and crouched down to gather some lavender. The stems of the plant were still a vibrant green and the rich purple petals held a delicate and calming smell. I looked back up and found Emersyn yards away as she moved on towards the end of their property line.

"Thank you," I muttered under my breath as I went back inside.

I secured the bunches of lavender together by tying a burlap string around the stems while I walked up the staircase and made my way towards Nicolo's room. I held the flowers behind my back and stood at the doorway as I began to knock on his door.

"Is it noon already?" he asked worriedly as his eyes widened when he opened the door.

"Yup, you're late," I lied as I walked inside his bedroom and watched as he scrambled to find his phone to check the time. I laughed as he looked up to scowl at me once he found out it was only eleven in the morning.

"I got you these," he said as he walked across the bedroom then pulled out a large bouquet of red roses. The flowers were placed in a vase with a luxurious black wrapping paper and red ribbon around it. Nicolo made his way over to me and I chuckled as the gift was nearly the size of his upper body.

"I got you something as well," I said excitedly and laughed as I saw him peek from behind the roses.

"What do you mean?" he asked as he set the vase down on his dresser.

"You got me weeds?" he asked in a bewildered tone as I brought the flowers out from behind my back.

"No!" I gasped out as I whacked his chest with my small bouquet.