Chapter 18: Nemesism

Nemesism (n.) Frustration, anger, or aggression directed inward, toward oneself and one's way of living.

Nicolo's P.O.V.

"I want everything in order for when we leave for Sicily," I said to Manny through the phone.

"Already working on that. Will Arabella be coming too?" he asked hesitantly and I looked up towards the dark sky and rolled my eyes at the soft spot he has grown for her. Of course she is coming, I cannot lose her. I cannot lose this prosperous deal with Cairo.

"Yes, she'll be with us in time for the charity ball," I sighed and silence filled the air for a few seconds; I could practically feel him smiling through the phone.

"Our investigators have new information on her father," he said in a more serious tone.

"We'll discuss this when I get back to the estate," I said as I looked up the street, waiting for this woman to emerge from the front doors of the restaurant.

"They were able to trace a phone call from the chip we've implanted in Alexander's phone; they weren't able to locate a precise location, but he's close, Nico." he explained as a gust of wind swirling around autumn leaves on the stone road caught my attention.

"Send me the infor-"

"Nicolo!" a soft but troubled familiar voice yelled out. I looked up and saw Arabella rushing towards me with a distressed look on her face.

"Che cazzo?" I mumbled under my breath as I stood up from the hood of my car and watched as she didn't slow down as she ran towards me (What the fuck).

"Nico, what's happening?" I heard Manny's faint voice through the speaker of my phone, but I ignored him as Arabella neared and I could see her glossy eyes glimmer under the streetlights.

"Arabella, what's wro-" I started to ask as I held out my hand to catch her before she collided with my body, but she shoved me towards the ground, causing me to stumble backwards as I heard a gunshot disrupt the serene air that hovered over the city at night.

I heard her yell out in pain as she fell towards the ground, but I caught her and pulled us behind the car as I heard another gunshot and felt shards of glass fall on us.

"Vai subito al ristorante!" I yelled into the phone as I looked down at Arabella who was wincing in pain (Get to the restaurant now).

She held her hand against the bullet wound on her arm and a wave of relief rushed over me as I saw it was just a graze.

"Arabella, you're going to be alright, just stay here," I said to her as more blood began to drip down her arm and onto the streets. I turned towards the direction of the gunshots and aimed my pistol at a dark figure.

"It's Calvin," I heard her whimper behind me. The sound of his name slipping through her lips in agony was enough to make me pull the trigger.

Hearing him groan out in pain as my bullet came in contact with his body made me pull the trigger again as I walked closer and watched him fall onto his knees.

"I told you you'll regret this," he grimaced in amusement as blood started to pour from his mouth.

I aimed my gun and sent a bullet to his shoulder, causing him to collapse on the ground. His clothing became covered with a growing red stain as the previous bullet wounds on his leg and stomach continued to leak of blood.

"She won't make it," he said as he let out a manic laugh and began to cough up blood.

"What the fuck are you talking about?" I seethed as I pressed the tip of my gun against his head, but when he refused to answer I sent another bullet into his leg.