188 Anna's POV

"Oh, Holley, I've missed you so much," she said, walking straight towards me. I jumped out of the way just in time, and turned back to see Holley open her arms to her. She hugged her gently, and swayed a little. "I've missed you Ma. I'm sorry that it took me so long to get out here. Work has been crazy lately," Holley said, pulling back from her. I felt my eyes tear up, and I clenched my fists together, to try and control the urge to hug my mother. I couldn't. It would terrify her, and just leave so many unanswered questions. My mother had moved on. I couldn't reopen that wound for her. I turned away, towards the back wall, where I noticed my piano. I gasped and walked towards it. The glossy mahogany wood gleamed in the sunlight that streamed through the window. I ran my fingers over the lustrous finish, then let them trail over the keys. I remembered sitting in the living room of my old home, playing church hymns, so that I could perform them in the next Sunday service. I remembered just making up tunes, and watching my family dance around the room. I went to sit and noticed the doll that was placed just so, sitting up on the bench. It was my old cabbage patch doll. I started to pick her up, but then remembered that I couldn't do that in front of everyone here. Instead, I sat on the corner of the little bench, beside her. Her name was Misty. My parents had gotten her for me when I was 13. I know that's a little old to be playing with dolls, but I didn't have her for that reason. I use to collect them. The memory rushed forward, slamming me with images of my old bedroom. Different dolls were placed on my bed and sitting on shelves in my room. From cabbage patch to porcelain, they all held a special memory for me. It was kind of like how you see families get t-shirts from every place they visit. Well, I got dolls. It was ironic how I was now tied to a one. I noticed how the fabric of the doll was turning a little ashy, and some of the threads were pulling apart. Her little green dress had a couple of stains, and her hair was slightly mangled. She looked like she had maybe been played with by one of kids before, and I was okay with that. I wanted her to bring happiness to others, like she had for me. Misty had been my favorite doll, out of all of them. She had been my last. After her, I thought that I was too old to be getting dolls. It was time for me to grow up and stop being a child. I guess all 13 years olds get that way. We want to prove that we are growing up and leave some of our childhood things behind. I remembered how happy I had been when Mom, Dad, and I had stopped at the little souvenir shop/gas station on our way home from vacation. Mom and I had went inside to look, while Dad pumped the gas and paid. I saw Misty sitting in a dusty corner of the shop, next to the more popular Barbies. I immediately wanted her. My childlike mind had thought that Misty needed me, because everyone needed someone to love them. I reached my hand out and caressed the doll's head, and felt tears prick my eyes. My family were all still chattering away behind me, oblivious to the fact that their missing daughter/sister was sitting in the same room. I squeezed my eyes closed, trying to stop the tears but it didn't work. When I opened them, the room was blurry from the salty water that trailed down my cheeks. I looked beyond the piano to the wall behind it. There, right in front of me, was a photo in an elaborately designed metal frame. the picture inside of it was of me. Me and Holly. The high school prom photo that we had taken together. I stood there, in my emerald green dress, the one that I had to have because it matched my eyes, and made me feel like a princess. It had cinched layers leading down to the floor, just barely letting my black boots poke through. I remembered thinking that there was no way that i was going to wear heels all night, so I chose to wear my comfy boots instead. The sleeves were ruffled lace leading down to a shiny bodice. The green orchid that Brandon, my highschool boyfriend, had gotten me, was sitting delicately on my wrist. Holley was in an equally beautiful dress, a peach colored one, with a sweetheart neckline, and only just barely reached her knees. We stood next to each other, hand in hand, giant smiles on our faces. I remembered the excitement of that night and the stress. I knew that Brandon was getting tired of me saying no to his advances, but I had to stick to my beliefs. We had broken up shortly after this night, because I refused to sleep with him. I remembered the feeling of my heart shattering at his feet. I had loved him as much as a 17 year old girl could love a boy. Holley had helped me get through the pain with lots of ice cream, and girl time. She let me cry when I needed to and cuss him with the same breath. I smiled at the memory, recalling how I had to stop her from driving to Brandon's house and slapping him across the face. Holley had always been there for me. Just as she was now. I should feel happy that she was still so connected to my family. I was...I just wished that I could connect with them as well. There were other pictures of me, placed around the prom photo. A couple of me with Mom and Dad, before Livvy was born. A few of Liv and I playing dress up, or Barbies. Me driving my first car. It was just an old rust bucket, really, but it had been mine. It seemed like this section of the wall was a memorial to me. My chest ached again, almost painfully so. "Do you remember this, Liv?" I heard Holley say. I turned to see what was happening behind me. They had photo albums out, and were scanning through the pictures. "Of course I do!" Liv exclaimed, grinning at the picture that Holley was pointing at. "I was so mad at you and Stacia, because you wouldn't let me come to the movies with you!" Holley laughed and shook her head.