prologue

WILLIAM STARLING

was twenty four years old when his brother and sister in law were killed in a car accident, leaving their six years old daughter an orphan. William was close with his niece but had no idea how to look after a child. He was the fun uncle who fed his niece pizza and soda every time she came to visit him. So when Celeste Starling's parents died tragically, William had no choice than to step up as the next person to raise Celeste.

William's parents had died and there were no people left from his brother's wife's family either. It was just William and Celeste against the world.

The first months were tortures for the both of them ― William was clueless with the concept of raising a child and Celeste was still trying to figure out why her mother and father weren't coming back.

If all this wasn't enough ― young Celeste struggled to control her magic which was very strong for a little girl. She would often wake up with headaches because she had done magic in her sleep. Magic wasn't something William was afraid of ― he was a wizard himself ― just like his brother and sister in law.

But Celeste was much stronger than William was when he was a child and that had something to do with blood. William was a pureblood wizard but there was no acknowledge of Celeste's roots. She was adopted from an orphanage when she was around four years old. The orphanage focused on magical children since it seemed that many were left without a family. 

Celeste knew she was adopted but she didn't recall her time before the orphanage where she spent four months. When she was adopted, her parents tried to find out about Celeste's past and who she was but they couldn't find anything.

One of the many things Celeste and her uncle did, was spending their mornings in a park. There was a nice park just a few minutes walk from their home where they would often go for no reason. The park wasn't special really although it was placed in a quarter that was accessible only for magical people.

It had been five minutes when Celeste started to panic a little after looking for her uncle who seemed to have vanished. One minute uncle Will had been playing with her in the park and now he was suddenly gone.

"Excuse me miss?" Asked Celeste politely.

Even at the age of eight, her manners were outstanding although William had taught her none.

A woman with strawberry blonde hair turned to look at Celeste and smiled at her softly. "Yes sweetie?" She said, keeping her green eyes at Celeste's brown ones. 

"I can't find my uncle," said Celeste, looking around but there was no sign of uncle Will. "I think I'm lost."

The woman's browns knitted together out of worry and concern for the little girl. She gently placed her hand on Celeste's shoulder. "Can you tell me your name? I might be able to help you."