Chapter 82

The journey up the plateau was beginning to get difficult as the air thinned at every step up. It wouldn't be too long until they'd have to put on their space suits.

"Judy, did you hammer in an anchor that didn't stick?"

"No, why?"

Will looked at the hole in front of his face in confusion before a small chitter was heard and something similar to a millipede crawled out.

Y/N shivered next to Will as she watched him trail his finger along its scale before it crawled away.

"If I see another creepy bug like that, I'm going to slip and fall," Y/N muttered, following the line up.

Penny was close behind her, staring at the same bug Will had before. "Is it weird that I think it's kind of cute?"

Vijay and Liam replied at the same time, with different answers, which followed in an awkward silence.

"Let's keep moving. We have to reach 1500 meters before dark."

~~~

The wind whistled against the tents's fabric loudly, as Y/N peeked out of the flaps trying to push the tent into the rock as gently as she could to avoid any rocks from loosening. Right now, that was kind of difficult.

"Imagine what it will be like if we face this kind of wind tomorrow. We won't be able to make any progress," Y/N said as she went back in and zipped up the flap.

Now that they were done with today's journey, they had found enough space on a small cliff to set up tents and sleep for the night. One was for Y/N, Penny, and Judy, while the other was for the three boys.

"I don't think these kind of updrafts happen in the morning, but I would still like for us to stay positive," Judy said, messing with the device in her hands.

"How's that going?"

Judy sighed. "I need more elevation."

"Does Penny know?"

Judy glanced at her sleeping form and nodded. "But she doesn't like it."

~~~

The next day, everyone has their space suits on as they climbed, which proved to be a lot harder with the big helmet and thick gloves and boots, which restricted you from getting a good grip.

Penny and Judy struggled most with being on both ends of the line and having to taking it everywhere without being attached to it.

Vijay was next to the small patch as he climbed to his side to get there.

"Okay, yeah. Now put your hand in that slot," Liam directed, earning an annoyed glare from Vijay.

He continued to do it on his own and ignored Liam, for what Y/N said bought was because his jealousy for having Penny's attention, but that snapped back at him when he got stuck in one place.

"Just let me help you," Liam said as Vijay struggled.

"Stop, you're distracting me."

Vijay placed his right hand on another rock, only to hesitate when he heard the rock's crumbling. But, he was too late as the place he had his hands fell, along with himself.

Y/N grunted as she felt the line pull on her leg and she leaned against the wall to prevent herself from falling as well while Judy went down to Vijay.

"Hey, Vijay, are you alright," Penny asked, trying to peek over the ledge.

"Yeah. I'm alright. I think I hurt my wrist though."

Judy took his wrist and began to inspect it, ending with the fact that he fractured his wrist. Everyone could tell Vijay was getting frustrated when Judy told him he had to go back to camp with Liam but they tried to ignore it as they left, and Will, Y/N, Penny, and Judy continued up.