Chapter 47

"Maureen,what are you doing?"

Smith looked at Maureen in confusion from the small closet area she was locked in. They had came down to look for anything Maureen said could help strip the ship, but no. They had other plans.

"Who are you," Maureen asked from the other side of the door.

Smith was quiet before she cheered. "You know who I am!"

"No. The truth."

Smith shifted uncomfortably but kept her gaze. "It's complicated."

Maureen scoffed and started to walk away, causing Smith to budge. "Okay!"

Maureen turned around to face her and Smith began. "When the Resolute was evacuated, the path to my Jupiter was cut off. And...I begged anyone I could find to take me in, but they...and that's when I saw him. The real Dr. Smith. He was hurt...he was bleeding and I..."

Smith stopped talking and she feel to the ground, not finishing her story. Maureen then turned to leave again so she resumed.

"I tried to save him but I just though 'why would both of us have to die' so I took him access tag. I'm sorry, I should've told you sooner. But...you were so kind and generous.i wanted you to like me."

Smith went silent and her voice cracked.

"Clearly you wanted more than that."

"Just give survive," Smith whined.

Maureen bent down to the open flap and spat, "then why did you give Angela the gun?"

"Maureen, why would I want to hurt the people-"

"I don't know you tell me," Maureen interrupted.

She got up again and threw her hands up in the air sarcastically. "If I'm wrong, I apologize. But right now I need to protect my family and I think the best way to do that is to keep you away from them."

Maureen started to walk away from the closet before Smith sat up and told her her 'name.'

"Jessica Harris. That's my name. Look it up in the manifest. I'm a physicist."

Maureen laughed. "You're a physicist? Why would you lie about that?"

"You're asking the wrong questions. What you should be asking is, how long was I on that Jupiter today? The one your preparing to launch."

Maureen looked down in surprise. Oh shoot.

~~~~~

Everyone sat around the table, listening to Maureen and John's new attachment. Smith wasn't there, Y/N had noticed but that didn't matter. Only a matter of seconds ago, Maureen told them that John would be the one to pilot the Jupiter. Not Naoko.

Everyone was silent, looking for pros and cons to this decision. Pro, he's the only one that can do it, Judy stated. Con, he might not make it back, Penny argued.

Everyone looked at Will who was crossing his arms and looking around uncomfortably. Then, he leaned forward and put his arms on the table. "You sure you'll be okay? You sure you'll come back?"

"If anyone can do this, it's your dad," Maureen said. Her eyes flickered to Y/N for a moment before they lingered on them.

Soon, everyone was looking at her, which made Y/N uncomfortable. "Um, are you sure he's the only one?"

Maureen nodded.

"Well, okay I guess. Just, stay safe and don't hesitate to do what Maureen tell you to do."

Will smiled in Y/N's direction before looking back at his dad, his face suddenly turning serious.

"What happens if I say no?"

Everyone looked at each other awkwardly and Will stood angrily, storming off. Y/N was prepared to go after him but John got up causing her to sink back down in her seat.

She watched their conversation in silence, their muffled voices talking away. They embraced each other in a hug before both of them came back and joined everyone's the table. Y/N gave Will a reassuring smile as he sat back down.

"If your dad's gonna do this, we're going to need to give him some help."

"Wait, you said you had two pieces of information to tell us," Judy interrupted. "What is the other piece of information?"

"Right. Uh, no one goes anywhere near the garage."

~~~~~

Everyone prepared in the control room, where John was going to be trained to pilot.

"You ready for a practice run," Maureen asked with her handy clipboard.

John stood straighter in his space suit and nodded. "Good to go."

Y/N nodded when Maureen looked her way and she tightened the rope attached to the chair.

"What's that," Will questioned when he saw it.

"It's to mimic G-force," Y/N answered. "You should know that. Here, put it around John's waist."

Will nodded and took the strap from her hands, walking up to his dad who was already wearing his helmet.

"So you're really gonna knock me out?"

"We want it to be as close to reality as it could be."

"T-minus 30 seconds," Penny stated from the corner of the room."

"Hey, hey. What's this," John yelped as Will put the strap around his waist. He looked at Y/N before smiling. "To mimic G-force."

"Oh, how's that gonna work?"

Will walked back to Y/N and smiled. "Can I open the door?"

"Sure!"

"10 minus 10 seconds. 9...8...7," Penny started to count down. "6...5...4...3...2...1...liftoff."

Will jumped up and pressed the button to the bughead and John grunted in pain. Y/N winced from even watching and Will crosses his arms.

John reaches over to a button before stopping when Maureen said, "no, don't touch those. Let the SRBs carry you up."

Judy went up to him and bent down. "Okay. You're approaching 9G, where you're gonna lose consciousness."

She pushed something on his helmet and John started to slowly nod off.

"You're cognitive recovery was 19 seconds. Feel free to improve that," Maureen chimed in.