Chapter 66

It was now pitch black outside and all of them were sitting down with a small bonfire in the middle.

Will was throwing rocks at the barrier making small zaps sound from their comfortable silence.

He took another one off the ground and stared at it for a second before chucking it.

Maureen asked Adler a question and they started talking but Y/N was zoned out. After a few seconds, she got bored and turned her attention to Will who was staring at the gate.

The horses started neighing and Y/N got up and faced their direction.

Will noticed to and he stopped what he was doing. "Hey, mom."

"What is it honey," Maureen asked calmly.

"The horses."

The neighing continued and Y/N squinted her eyes trying to see the horses in the dark, but to come to no avail.

Maureen stood up too and said, "something's got them on edge."

Will turned to Y/N whom he noticed was unusually quiet. He was about to speak before she turned on her flashlight and tried to see whatever was making the horses nervous.

In the distance, Y/N could make out four small green lights making the edges of a square.

"Hey, I see something," Y/N stated.

Will made his way over to her and out a hand on her shoulder and leaned his head forward.

He too could see the strange lights.

"I think it's some kind of animal," Will answered.

Maureen stood behind the kids and followed their gaze.

"Oh. Adler, what do you think those are?"

The creature screeched and Adler replied, "scientists say they're scavengers, mostly."

There was another screeching sound and four more green lights appeared next to the first ones.

"Posts keep them away," Alder continued with his flashlight pointing in their direction.

There was a click and the red lights of the protective gate turned off.

"Security perimeter deactivated," the automated voice said.

Will scooted closer to Y/N who was looked over her shoulder curiously.

"Did you touch something," Maureen asked as she looked back at the device on her wrist.

"No. Will? Y/N?"

"No. Nothing," Y/N whispered.

There was another click and they res lights turned back on.

"Security perimeter activated."

The shrill screeches of the creatures resumed and there'd were more lights coming into view.

"Okay. We're okay," Maureen reassured.

There was another click and the light turned off once again. "Security perimeter deactivated."

"Something keep on interfering with the signal," Maureen's head snapped towards her band.

The lights turned on and Y/N frowned.

"Security perimeter active."

The screeches resumed and more lights came and they were getting closer. The shapes of the creature came into view and they could make out something similar to a T-Rex. There were now four.