Chapter 62

"This is itchy," Y/N rubbed her arm as she crouched behind Will.

They made it in and Y/N was still wearing a suit. Will looked around before seeing the ladder to the basement and quietly walking to it.

"Okay, found it. Let's go."

Will looked down into the hole and heard talking voices and some light switching on and off.

Then, a figure emerged from the curtain down the ladder and Will gasped.

"Hey, did you hear that," one of the staff in the suit said.

Will panicked and ran away from the ladder. Y/N was going into the center room before seeing another man come and she looked around.

Y/N saw Will's old bedroom so she pointed towards there and ran into the room.

Will followed and they both crouched behind the bed. The two kids peeled over the top and the man was right outside.

The man started to walk in and Y/N and Will both lowered their heads.

The mans hand was on the plastic outside the door before his radio turned on and told the staff to get back in the garage.

The man turned away and left.

Y/N sighed and looked to Will who was looking at her already with relief in his eyes. Their faces were really close.

Will looked down at her lips and Y/N looked into his eyes. Both of them started leaning towards each other  before they heard steps coming from the hall and they lowered their bodies again.

After a few seconds, the footsteps went away and Y/N banged her head onto Will's mattress, which was pretty soft.

"I need a nap. It should be at least a week long," Y/N muttered.

Will patted Y/N's back before standing up and offering a hand. "Still haven't found him."

"Okay, lemme just..."

Y/N took off her suit and exhaled deeply. "Imagine wearing that thing for 12 hours. Did your parents ever tell you about 2020?"

Will laughed and grabbed Y/N's hand. "They did."

~~~~~~~~

Y/N turned on the radio once the got to the control room and Hastings voice was talking.

"...since the beginning. We're also gonna do something new. Let's try again."

There was a click and the same alien wailing came on from the radio.

Y/N and Will glanced at each other before looking back at the radio.

~~~~~~~~~

They had been there for a while now. Like what, half an hour?

Y/N was still really tired. Will had his ear against the radio and he was listening to everything hoping that he'd get a clue to the robot's wearabouts. Y/N was worried that something would happen to it.

There were footsteps coming outside the room and Will turned off the radio.

The people were leaving.

Y/N put a hand on Will's shoulder and nodded.

They looked at the retreating people and soon, they left.

Y/N went down the ladder first and before hopping down, checked to see if anyone was still left doing some work.

"All clear," Y/N whispered to Will as she jumped down.

Will followed in suit and they both saw the engine in the middle of the room. It looked like it was...dead.

Y/N looked around a room and raised her eyebrows when she saw a metal cage. They had him there.

"Will, don't get too close," Y/N whispered to Will who was walking up to it.

"Okay. We can stop whispering now," Will whispered.

"You just whispered," Y/N whispered.

"Because I was telling you NOT to whisper because we're fine now."

"Then why are why still whispering?"

"Because you're whispering."

Y/N sighed and yelled loudly when she tripped over one of the vines of the engine.

"I guess we can stop whispering now," Y/N said as she held her jumped up and down with her foot in her hands.

Will shrugged and went to the front where he saw the robot lying on the cage floor.

The robot's head turned to Will's direction and Y/N sighed.

"He's not in any pain if that's what you're thinking," Alder crossed his arms from behind Will.

Y/N flinched slightly in fright when she heard Adler.

"That was exactly what I saw thinking," Will started with a soft voice.

"You know, when I was your age, I wanted a robot," Adler said to the both of them.

"I think a lot of kids do," Y/N was staring at the broken looking face of Scarecrow.

"I didn't know that finding one in an alien planet was an option, so I became a researcher, specializing in artificial intelligence. I want to talk to them not hurt them," Adler tilted his head. "The jolts we're giving it are a primitive form of communication. Pure stimulus to achieve a simple response."

Y/N scoffed. "Seems like trying to have a conversation with someone by hitting them with stick."

Adler chuckled at Y/N's comment. "From what I've been told, you two had a very special experience with a fully functioning robot. I wish I'd have the chance with Scarecrow."

"Why do you call him that," Will asked as he finally looked at Adler.

"He was just a raggedy thing when we found him on the crash site; leaking what looked like straw-Glowing straw, granted. I was brought in to communicate with him, which was nearly impossible given his extreme damage. And all I can think was 'if I only had one brain.'"

"His face," Will bent down to look at it closer. "It doesn't look right. He had less lights. He looks...confused."

Y/N nodded in agreement and Alder bent down next to Will.

"And now we're asking him to do something we've never asked him before. But if he can't move that back to the Resolute, I'm afraid we're gonna be stuck here permanently."

"Maybe he doesn't want to help," Y/N suggested. "They do feel things."

"It's common to personify anything that has what may be considered a face to have human feelings."

"I...felt things. Y/N did too."

"What do you mean," Adler asked the two.

"Me, the robot, and Will. All of us are connected...somehow," Y/N squinted at the robot.

"Yeah. He knew what we were thinking. Sometimes...I could even see what he saw. It's happened to Y/N way more than me. Where did you last see him, N/N?"

"A cave. It...oh my gosh, it looked like it would be in a dessert! Will, he might be on that planet," Y/N exclaimed. "Yes, why didn't I see that before! Will, I'll see you later!"

"But...wait," Will tried.

Y/N dashed out of the basement before she could hear a thing.