Chapter 49

Y/N folded the foil over the window shield once again. There had been a surprising turn in events and, they were preparing for it. Now, Don was going with John. Maureen had found him perfect for going, since he knew everything about the Jupiter.

"If anyone asks, I got paid for this. A lot," Don told Judy. "Actually, in return. I want a parade. No, wait, a holiday!"

"..nine...eight...," Y/N started to count down as they all ignored Don's rambling.

"Don West appreciation day. Colony Salvation Day for Don West."

"...five, four...three....two..one."

"Liftoff," Penny said.

Will jumped up and opened the bughead which sent John and Don groaning in pain. Penny and Judy went to each John and Don and they blocked off the oxygen pile on the suit so they could pass out.

"What kind of a torture chamber have you got going on," Don asked before passing out.

Only seconds later, John woke up. He looked around before setting his eyes on whatever was in front of him.

"That was a bit slow, but okay. Now, I need you 15 degrees on your right. Yes, now hit the thrusters," Maureen instructed.

John slowly reached over and pushed it down.

"Excellent, now steady. Now, Don, vent the engines."

Everyone looked to Don who was...still knocked out. He was drooling against the inside of his helmet and was snoring slightly.

"Don," Maureen went up to him, looking around.

"What was his recovery time," John asked.

"I couldn't find the results."

Right then, Don's eyes widened as he awoke to his surroundings. "A-plus. I scored an A-plus."

Y/N tried to cover her smile and she quietly muttered to Will, "that's not how it works."

There was a beeping sound and Don reached over to his leg to pull a trigger. The beeping stopped and Maureen sighed in relief. "And, you've hit escape velocity. Welcome to space," Maureen cheered as everyone started laughing.

Will and Y/N gave each other and big high five (wtf, is that even a thing?) and Judy and Penny went in for a hug.

They rushed over to Don and John (whew, that rhymes! Okay, I'm gone now) and they took off their helmets.

"Nailed it," Penny told John as she took off his helmet.

John chuckled in exhaustion and Will closed the bughead to the two could breathe.

"I'm also here," Don remarked. "Being brave and awesome. Doing the right thing or whatever."

Judy gave Don a small pat on the shoulder as everyone payed attention to Maureen. "Tonight, we do it for real."

"Shouldn't we run the test one more time," Will unsurely asked.

Maureen sighed and stood in front of him. "We don't have anymore time."

Will tensed up and Y/N put a hand on his shoulder, trying to help him relax.

~~~~~

They all stood in front of Chariot 2, saying goodbyes Don and John. They all gave each other hugs in efforts for good luck. They would be driving to the Dhar's soon.

John went up to Will and placed both hands on the side of his head. Then, he looked at Y/N and gave her a small nod before joining Don in the Chariot. She slowly gave a small salute in his way.

As the door closed, fear flooded Will. There were a million things that could go wrong. Either way, his hands found itself in Y/N's, giving him a small space to reconsider the positive possibilities.

Y/N squeezed it slightly and pulled him in for a small hug.

"You're dad is one of the bravest men I've ever known. Don is too, and they'll make a great team."

She pulled away and put her hands on his shoulders. "Just think of the best for them. Give them hope. It always works."

Will smiled slightly hung onto her hand. "Thanks. I really needed that."

They both joined the group and turned to see Don running up to her. "Wait, wait! Whew, Judy, come her for a second!"

He held a small box in his hand that was...shaking? Judy ran up to him with a smile. "Wha-"

"No, no, it's not a gift. It's my pet, Debbie. Look, I've left instructions with it, what she eats, when she sleeps. It's all in that paper. Take care of her for me while I'm gone."

Judy was, uh, kinda speechless. She wasn't exactly made for chicken babysitting. She nodded slowly and Don ran back to the Chariot.

The doors opened to let him in, and then closed. Going back to its destination towards the Dhar's.

Penny put her arms around Will and Y/N's shoulders and her head between theirs,

While Judy held the moving box in her hand and Maureen stood in between them all.

"He'll be alright," she said with a shaky breath.