Chapter 31

Y/N woke up early again the next morning. She looked outside and saw once again, the sun was up, earlier than yesterday. She stood up from her floor-bed and folded her blankets and put her pillow top of them. She brushed her teeth and changed into some clothes that she had been given from Prisha Dhar, Victor Dhar's wife and Vijay's mom.
    Y/N went to the kitchen to get some toast and milk. She mostly loved the food back on Earth. One thing she missed there was that. She had friends too, another thing she missed. The thing was, none them passed the test. Most of them didn't even dare do it. Y/N took a plate and sat on a chair, slowly eating her toast.
      "Good morning Y/N."
       Y/N tuned her head towards the doorway to see Maureen with a small smile on her face.
       "Hi Maureen!"
       Maureen smiled and took some toast for herself and joined Y/N at the table.
       "So, I-uh- don't mean to be nosy but... what did you do yesterday? You weren't there for a while."
       Maureen looked behind her back then around the room before leaning in and telling Y/N, "I was investigating. Remember how we were both a bit stumped on how in sun was responding differently than what we expected?"
       Y/N nodded.
       "It turns out that, um, that there is a black hole," Maureen said, immediately regretting telling someone so young about it. She didn't know what she was thinking.
        Y/N's eyes widened and she dropped her toast on her plate. "What? That's terrible! How close is it?"
       "No, no, no, you don't have to worry. It's really not that close, nothing to worry about. We have plenty of time before signs of anything we need to pay attention to shows up."
       "How much time," Y/N asked, still really worried.
       "At least a year and a half," Maureen said.
       Y/N released a huge breath and she picked up her toast again. "By then, the Resolute would have picked us up again. We would be on track."
       Maureen smiled and nodded.
       "Oh, and can you do me a favor," Maureen asked.
       "Sure!"
       "Please, do not tell anybody about this."
       "Um, Okay then. I won't," Y/N said, finding it strange that she maybe only told her.
        "Thank you so much Y/N."
         Y/N smiled and gave a thumbs up before finishing her toast and drinking the last of her milk. She quickly washed her dishes and put them back before walking out of the room to do something else.

Time Skip- a few hours earlier (a bit after the accident)

       "There are eclipsing binaries, astrometric binaries, spectroscopic binaries. It's hard to tell which one we're in without a map of the star system."
       "You're doing it again."
       "Doing what?"
      "Using astrophysics as a smokescreen. Just tell me the bad news."
      "Okay, Fine. If this is our planet and this is a sun, a typical orbit looks like this."
       Maureen took an apple and made a circular movement with it.
      "Okay, so I'm guessing our orbit isn't typical," John said.
      "Well, the way the ecosphere has been behaving, the longer days and increased temperatures, I couldn't figure it out until I got up there and I saw this."
       Penny slowly peaked into the center table room and saw her parents talking about something. Something to do with the way the planet was orbiting. Maureen seemed worried and John didn't seem to know what the problem was, which Maureen was trying to explain to him.
       Maureen picked up her water bottle and they all looked at a small, black cup.
       "A coffee mug," John asked.
      "A black hole. Hiding just off the shoulder of our sun. The gravitational pull is altering the orbit, pulling our planet closer and closer, until, when it takes this turn, nothing on the surface, I mean nothing, will survive," Maureen said.
       Penny's mouth dropped and she put her hand on her mouth.
       "How long do we have," John asked.
       "Till the planet becomes uninhabitable? Weeks, maybe months. It's hard to know without more information. If Y/N hadn't made some charts, I would have never went to investigate further and came to this conclusion."
        The both of them were silent before Maureen spoke again.
        "So, we have a decision to make. Do we tell people?"
        "You're asking me?"
        "Yeah, I'm asking you."
        "Honestly, I don't know. My god Maureen, you should have seen their faces out there tonight."
         Penny after hearing this went straight back to her cabin. There was such a bad situation and they weren't planning on telling anyone!
         "Looking to me, to answer the questions about that machine that I don't have. So, tomorrow I get to clean up that mess," John continued.
        None of them had noticed Penny, so none of them new that a big secret was out. Judy and Will didn't know that there was a black hole, or anything wrong with the planet. Smith didn't know, the colonists didn't know. Y/N didn't know that there was something much worse. That they only had a matter of weeks before the planet was gone.