Chapter 32

"27 people died crashing here. Husbands, wives, friends. Dead because of what that thing did."
     "What about last night? It was protecting us."
     "It was defending itself!"
     "Who knows what would've happened."
     "Maybe it can help us—"
      "Please! Enough!"
      The colonists were in the Jupiter having a meeting about the events that had happened recently. They were arguing about whether they should or should not trust the robot that had attacked the Resolute and saved them from the creatures. Victor Dhar paced around the room as everyone went silent.
      "One at a time. Let's not have this devolve into chaos."
      "Victor, if I could make a suggestion. Maybe we should hear from someone who has seen, firsthand, what this thing is capable of."
       Victor nodded and walked over to Angela, who was simply watching the argument unfold. She had one decision and, for now, nothing could change her mind from what she chose.
       "Angela, would you like to tell us anything?"
       Angela stared at the floor as everyone looked at her. She stood up and started limping to the center of the room.
       "My husband was the seventh musician chosen for relocation. He played cello. He loved football and hated the rain," Angela paused as her voice started to break with the mere memory of him. "He was the best part of my life, and that thing murdered him in front of me. So to be forced to sit here, listening to people wonder how they can use it...sickens me," Angela finished.
        There was a silence where everyone gave a moment to respect Angela's husband and everyone else. Then, Victor walked back up next to Angela.
       "I think the best course action would be to treat this as we would at home. If a man committed any of these crimes—"
      "But it's not a man," John stepped in. "Isn't that the point? Angela, I'm truly sorry about what happened to your husband."
        Angela stared at John.
        "There is nothing we can do or say that can replace that loss. But I think that it's important that we understand that the robot has changed."
        "Changed? John, What are you—"
        "Let him speak."
       "Okay. Think of it like a computer that's been rebooted or reprogrammed. Look, I don't know what the hell this thing was before, or why it's here now, but what I do know is that only reason my daughter is alive today is because that machine saved her life. And it kept my family safe...when I couldn't. We're in a place where I think we'd all like to feel a little safer."
       "And, uh, what if it changes again," a someone asked. "Who's gonna keep us safe from it?"
       Smith looked down then back up again at the person.
      "You saw it for yourself. It listens to my son and his friend, Y/N."
      "So you put our safety in the hands of two children," Victor asked.
      "It worked last night. Only difference is, now you all know about it."
      "Okay everyone. I think we should try and reach a consensus here."
      "Well let's begin with the fact that we can't control this thing, nor do we understand it."
      "We might need it's help again."
      They started arguing again as Angela left the room in disbelief. Smith watched her and she got up and followed.

——————————————————————————————————

      Y/N and Will walked out of the Jupiter, robot following right behind them. Everyone stopped what they were doing to stare at the robot. He scanned the area as more eyes landed on him. Maureen walked to Will and Y/N and looked up at the robot.
      "Maybe you guys should go back inside."
      "But I thought we could help," Will said. "There are a lot of heavy things and he can—"
      "Inside. Just until your dad gets back," Maureen said. "Go on."
      "Okay, come on," Y/N said, signaling to the Jupiter with her head.
     They turned back and the robot followed as they went back inside. There was a small silence before people started chatting and working again.
     "Having fun," Penny asked Vijay as he dragged a wagon.
     "Uh, if you mean going back and forth collecting smelly meat, Sure, I'm having the time of my life," Vijay joked.
      "Well, I'm going swimming at the waterfall," Penny smiled.
      "We haven't tested the water yet," Vijay said as a matter of fact.
      "So?"
      "So it could kill you," Vijay said awkwardly. "Besides, I told my dad I'd do this so..."
      "All right, whatever. I'm gonna go. You can come if you want," Penny said, going off.
      Vijay watched as she retreated and he put the wagon down.
      "Wait up," He yelped, following after Penny.

—————————————————————————————-

       Y/N, Will and Maureen waited for John to come back from the meeting where they were deciding the fate of the robot. Will and Y/N had crossed their fingers until they turned purple and they were getting a little impatient.
      Once John came up the ladder, the two children ran up to him, Maureen was close behind.
     "What'd they say?"
     "Robot stays," John said.
     "Yes," Will and Y/N said. They gave each other a high five and waited for John to continue.
     "But there are conditions. You keep it away from other people, you report any changes in behavior, and register it's whereabouts at all times," John said, putting his hands on their shoulders.
     "Yeah, no problem," Y/N said quickly.
    "We want to show you something," Will said, grabbing his father's arm.
     He let go and grabbed Y/N's hand as they went to go and get it. John sighed and looked up at Maureen.
      "They don't get it."
      "It's fine. Let them be happy for a minute."
      John nodded and put his hand on Maureen's shoulder. "Victor is outside. He wants to talk."
      Maureen sighed and looked down, thinking about the black hole.
      "You gonna tell him?"
      "About what," Maureen tested.
      "The coffee mug," John said referring to her presentation explaining the black hole.
     Maureen was about to answer before Will and Y/N came running back with a piece of paper.
     "We made a list. Stuff the robot can do to help people," Y/N said as Will showed him the list.
     "Then, when they see how awesome he is, they'll accept him," Will finished. It was like the two lived in each other's minds.
     Maureen smiled and glanced at John who told them, "actually, I had something else in mind. Hey don't you guys help me today. Or, you can stay here if you want, Y/N."
     Will looked at Y/N hoping that she would choose to join. Y/N shrugged and Maureen said, "Y/N, I think you can help me with something here."
      "Sorry Will, But I guess I should help Maureen. I'm pretty sure that with all this chaos, you and you dad haven't spent much time together."
      "But I want you to come with me," Will said.
      Y/N smiled sympathetically towards Will and he sighed. "Fine. What are we gonna do dad?" 
      "I'll tell you later. Like Y/N said, it's kind of a father-son thing."
      The robot came from the next room and turned to them. "Actually, it's kind of a father-son-robot thing."
      "But the robot chooses who he wants to be with," Will said.
     "I can fix that. Right now, we're together so we don't know who he wants to be with right now. How about you go walk that way and I'll walk this way. Whoever he follows is who he wants to be with," Y/N explained.
      Will smiled and nodded as he walked the other way and Y/N did the same. The robot followed Y/N which made her stop and look up at the robot.
      "Hey, maybe we can hang out later but I think you should be with Will for now. He needs you for something."
      Y/N pointed to the others and the robot looked between Will and Y/N.
     "Y/N L/N."
     She nodded and tilted her head towards Will. The robot stared at her for a few seconds before going to Will. Y/N gave a satisfactory smile and a thumbs up at them.

Bam! Only a few more chapters for season 1 then I'll move on to season 2 and I'm pretty sure that is what you guys were waiting for :)