Chapter 44

"What are you doing here?"

Y/N stared at Carter's hand reaching out to help her.

A/N: just realized that I never described Carter so you guys can think of his looks however you want

"I think I'll ask you that," Carter replied.

Y/N got up by herself and sat on the rock. "Just, thinking."

Carter sat next to her and gave her a small glance. "So...how are you guys holding up?"

"Fine," Y/N murmured.

There was an awkward silence between the two so Carter spoke up. "Umm, are you mad at me?"

Y/N looked at Carter then at the ground. "No. If I was, that wouldn't be right. You should be mad at me for, ya know, keeping those secrets. What exactly do you know?"

Carter gave Y/N a small smile and he said, "that you broke into high security and stole information."

Y/N went red, clearly embarrassed, and she looked away. "I really don't know what got into me. That was the stupidest thing I've ever done. Did you tell anyone, because, well, did you?"

Carter shook his head and put a hand on her shoulder. "Nope. I read that from your diary and then after that, I burnt it. My parents were curious but I just told them it was some wood. I wouldn't do you like that."

Y/N smiled. "That's nice."

Another silence.

"Y/N, there's something I need to tell you."

"Continue."

"My parents, they seem to, I don't know, hate you. When I first found them a couple weeks ago, they told me not to tell anyone, especially you. It's like they were, hiding."

Y/N's smile faltered and she brought her knees to her face, wrapping her arms around them. "Well, everyone has their opinions but, hiding? What did they do wrong?"

"I don't know. It-it could be about the robot. He's giving everyone bad vibes."

Sadness entered Y/N's body as she thought of the robot. "He's dead."

Carter fell off the rock in surprise at Y/N's bluntness. "He...what?"

"He's dead. I came here to forget about it. Guess that didn't help."

"Oh...I'm-I'm sorry. I just-I didn't know," Carter rambled.

"No, it's okay," Y/N said as she started to stand up. "I guess, I'll see you later."

"Are you sure, maybe I should, walk you back, or, uh."

"Nope. I'm good. The Jupiter is just on the other side of the trees. Bye."

Y/N left the rock with no clues to how she ended up there and even more of a broken heart.

~~~~~

Now, the Chariot was completely buried in tar. The light source they were using to hook up the radio had ran out so it left Maureen and John in the dark.

"Don't worry, I'll just find something else to put the radio up to," Maureen said.

Now, it had gotten so hot that the two were in their tank tops and sweat was shining of them. They buried through the bags in the Chariot, looking for any possible option.

John found a big green bag, maybe something they needed was in there. He opened it up to reveal a space helmet.

"Maureen," John asked, holding up the helmet in front of her face. "Maureen."