Chapter 34

The Chariots came to a stop and the doors opened, letting everyone get out. Y/N quickly changed into the boots Aiko gave her and jumped out to see...nothing.  
     "This doesn't make sense," Don said. "It's was here. It was right here."
      Don jogged up to the place he believed he crashed as everyone else filed out. Don stood at the edge of the cliff and Judy joined him as they both looked down to the rocks below and saw nothing. No proof of the Jupiter being there.
       "I knew this was a mistake."
      "Maybe it fell," Victor suggested.
      "You brought us all the way over here for 'maybe it fell?'," Peter said angrily.
      "Deal's off West. Let's go. We'll trying to make it back before sunset."
      "What does he mean by 'deals off? What deal," Judy asked as her, Aiko and Y/N all looked at him.
      "Nothing. It doesn't matter," Don muttered.
      "Oh, he didn't tell you? Your pal here demanded money to show us where the fuel was," Victor said. "What a hero."
      Y/N looked down in disappointment. She thought that Don was nice.
      "Don," Judy said in a 'is this true' tone.
      Don looked down and shook his head bringing his hands up, defeated. "In my defense, it was supposed to be a confidential-type arrangement."
      Don and Judy started walking back to the Chariot as they argued. Y/N sighed and kicked the sand in annoyance. They really thought that it was there. She kicked the ground again only to meet with something hard. Y/N yelped and looked down at the familiar piece of metal.
       "Guys! It's here! The Jupiter is here," Y/N yelled.
      Everyone looked at Y/N and watched her digging the sand away for them to see the metal of the Jupiter.
       "Hey, it's here! We've been stand my on it the whole time," Don yelled as him, Judy and Y/N started to dig more.
        Everyone joined them and started to dig as more of the Jupiter was revealed.
        "Look for the top hatch, if it's stuck, Y/N, you'll go through and connect the fuel tank," Evan said.
       Suddenly, the ground shook and everyone tumbled back trying to find their balance.
       "Whoa, whoa!"
      "Okay, whoa. Slow, slow, slow. Back up slowly," Don said.
      They slowly started to back up as the Jupiter beneath them started to shift.
       "See, I knew it was here the whole time," Don said to Victor as they stood back.
      "I don't know if the fuel's still inside and Y/N found it. Don't count up your chickens."
       "Oh, I won't be counting them, sir. I only have the one, her name is Debbie."
       "You named your chicken," Y/N asked, surprisingly not surprised.
       Don shrugged and cracked his knuckles. "So, who's got the shovel?"
      Y/N ran back to the Jupiter and got shovels for everyone before going back to the tanker and connecting the tube. She ran back and brought all of them back and handed them out.
       They found the latch and they dug out the sand. Y/N gave Peter the tube and when they gave her the signal, she turned on the protractor and the fuel started to go from the Jupiter into the tank. Evan came out of the hatch breathing heavily and he looked at Victor.
       "According to the meter, tank's full. Just like West said."
      "Apology accepted," Victor said. "Fill her up, let's get out of here."
        "It's all done," Y/N said as she made her way back to the group.

—————————————————————————————————————

       They had arrived at a cliff. You could see the northern lights of the planet and some other close by planets.
       "This is amazing," Will said breathlessly. The long way up was part of the reason he was breathless.
       "Yep, But were not here for the view, Will."
       "Than, why did we hike up all this way?"
       "Grab me a rock from over there. Big one, bring it over here," John said, pointing to some rocks in the corner.
       "Why," Will asked stubbornly.
      "Just do it." 
     "Come on, I need to go grab a rock," Will said to the robot.
      "Not him. Just you," John added.
      "Stay here," Will said as he went over to the rocks.
      He looked around for something easy to carry back to his dad before he saw a nice, small rock. He bent down and picked it up, grunting as he made his way back up.
       "No, no, no. A larger one," John said. "Big as you can carry."
       Will dropped the rock and picked up the one right next to him. He made his way back to John, slouching his back from the weight. He sighed and put the rock down as it got heavier and he picked it back up.
       "Come on, you can do it," John smiled.
       Will made his way back to John as he continued to breathe heavily. He put the rock at John's feet and he looked back up at him.
        "Done," He said as he wiped his hands.
       "Not quite. We need 26 more just like that."
       "What," Will said in disbelief. "Am I being punished?"
      "No, no, no. It's just... I'm just trying to help you understand that you have a responsibility now."
       "This is about him, isn't it," Will asked as he slightly pointed his head towards the robot.
        "In a way."
        "But I already know what I'm doing, dad. Y/N does too. Why isn't she here? We could do this together. We can do anything together. We can control him. You saw. He listens to us, he does what we say."
        "She already understands the responsibilities of him. She knows that he is not a tool."
        "I know, he is more than that. He's my friend. He's there when I need him."
       John nodded as he looked down at his son. "But he wasn't always your friend, was he?"
       "No," Will whispered.
       "As much as we'd all like to change the past, undo our mistakes, we can't. We have to live with our history. So, in honor of that, we're gonna place 27 stones here today. A carin, a monument to all those who lost their lives in the attack on the Resolute."
      John nodded as he looked at Will. John picked up the rock that Will got and he placed it up on a bigger rock.
      "You know, today, I... I spoke to a woman named Angela. She lost her husband on the Resolute. This first one's for him."
        Will placed his hand on the rock as John wiped his hands. He went to go get another one as John watched him. Will picked up a rock as Angela told her story miles away. Will wobbled back to the monument and placed the rock right next to the one for Josh, Angela's husband.
         There were now a few rocks there and the sun was setting. The robot watched their figures going back and forth, placing rocks down then going to get another one. John then went to help Will and he placed his jacket down, going to the field. The rock echoed as he placed it down.

Then again.

Then again.

Then again, until it was finally almost time to go.

      "Last one," John said.
      "Yeah."
       "Let me give you a hand," John said, moving to a rock.
       "No," Will breathed. "I want to."
       John stood back up and looked at Will.
       "I should do this one," Will finished.
      Will picked up the rock and made his way back to the rock without any trouble. He stopped in front of the monument, taking a breathe before he tried to place it on top. The monument was tall so he struggled until John took his hands and helped Will place it on the very top. Will breathed heavily and took his leg off the rock.
        John wrapped one arm around Will as he did the same. They both looked up at the monument, staying silent for a moment of respect to those who had passed.
       "Let's hope we never have to add another one."

———————————————————————————————————

      Diane connected the tube to the second reservoir tank and she clicked it in.
      "All clear!"
       Don looked back up from the hatch and asked, "So are we good?"
       "Are you referring to our arrangement?"
      "Yeah."
      "We're good when we get the fuel safely back," Victor said.
      "What does that mean?"
      "It means you need to stop standing around and start helping. The 11 year old is doing better than you."
       Don rolled his eyes as Victor asked how much longer it was going to take.
      "Once we start the transfer from the second, about three hours," Aiko said.
      "Yeah, well, uh, let's try and make it two," Victor said walking off.
      "Would you like me to change the law of physics or just lie to you," Aiko said sassily.
      Victor looked at Aiko before placing his shovel down. "Okay everyone, listen up. In just three hours, we're gonna have a tank full of liquid methane ready for transport. I..."
       He was interrupted when Don raised up his hand. "What is it," Victor asked in annoyance.
      "Me? Yeah, I was just wondering what we're gonna do when the Jupiter falls off the edge, takes the fuel tank it?"
      "Clearly we're hoping that's not gonna happen."
       "Oh, you can have all the hope you want hit gravity has other plans."
       Don paused before putting his hand on Victor's shoulder. "You see, Vic, the west side of the Jupiter is hanging over the edge. Now the auxiliary fuel supply, that's on the east side. As we transfer the fuel, the east side gets lighter. The weight shifts over to the west side sending it over the edge."
       "And since our hose is connected to the tanker, that's probably gonna go with it too," Y/N said, catching on.
      Don nodded and smiled. "11 year old is coming in handy now, isn't she?"
      "Okay, so do you hav a better idea? Or do you want us to pay for that too," Judy said, taking to only Don.
      "We use the Chariots as an anchor. We dig down, attach the towlines to the Jupiter. With the torque in the engines, we counteract the shift in the weight," Evan said.
       "Will that work," Victor asked,
       "It might. Just gotta get the right guy behind he wheel."
      "Or right girl," Judy said. "No offense but who do you expect to handle this? Somebody who saves lives or someone who gambles with them?"
      "No offense? How is that not offensive," Don asked.
     "Don't let us down, Robinson," Victor said, patting Judy's shoulder.
      Y/N smiled as she and Judy looked at each other. Judy, however, thought that she should show everyone what a a Robinson could do.