The Hunger I Crave.

*Katniss's POV*
*A week later*
Peeta comes home today. When he called me later that night, he was alone. Maybe he was busy in a busy room. He left the Capitol early this morning, so he will most likely be home midday. There's still some snow on the ground, so maybe I can convince him to make a snowman or something.
Slowly, the time passes. I decide to go sit in Peeta's art room, maybe it will give me some company. I don't feel like visiting Haymitch right now, he's probably drunk anyways. I sit down in his chair and decide to look through the drawers of his desk. I look extra carefully, hoping I won't break his supplies. I find some old markers and I grab a piece of paper. I place them down on the desk and begin to draw. Even though I'm a terrible artist, I'm just going to scribble my emotions. I scribble various colors across the page. They don't create anything in particular, but it's just to occupy me anyways.
By the time I'm done drawing, the sun is well in the sky. Peeta will be home any minute. I look up to see myself on the wall. The painting is gorgeous, except for the fact that it's me.
I hear the door open and I stand up slowly. I make my way out of the room and turn the corner to see him closing the door.
"How was your trip?" I ask quietly. He turns around and sets his bag on the floor next to the wall.
"It was good, but it would of been better if you were there." He smiles. I look at him and nod but he gives me a look. "Is something wrong? You haven't really spoken to me since I've left."
I shrug my shoulders and turn around to go sit in the living room. I hear as he walks behind me and he sits next to me.
"What's wrong?" He asks while moving a strand of hair off my face. I look at him and then sigh.
"I know I'm being dramatic, so don't tell me that I am. But I heard you on the phone with other girls." I say, looking down to my hands. "I just thought—" I'm cut off by his hand on my chin. He brings my face upwards and looks into my eyes.
"There were girls there, you aren't wrong. But I didn't do anything with them. They were some of Effie's friends that she had brought with her. I wouldn't do that to you, Katniss. I only want you." He says looking into my eyes. I smile softly and lean in to kiss him. He kisses me back and plays with my hair. I feel that thing, the hunger, the one I crave. I deepen the kiss but I do my best to contain it, because I'm not ready. Eventually, I pull back and look at him.
_
I grab his hand and we walk towards his door. I knock on the door and hope he comes to the door fast because it's freezing outside.
He opens the door and I push my way through.
"Sure is cold out there." I say hugging Haymitch as I walk in.
"Hey, Sweetheart." He says. He turns to Peeta and hugs him too. We make our way inside and I sit down next to Peeta.
"So how was your trip?" Haymitch asks making himself comfortable in a rocking chair located next to the fireplace.
"It was alright." Peeta says. "Pretty boring you could say."
Their conversation drags on and consists of things I don't even bother trying to understand. I pass time by staring at the wall, except smiling when necessary.
"I visited Effie for you." Peeta smirks.
"What'd she have to say?" He rolls his eyes.
"She said she wants to visit, she misses us."
"She's probably too busy." I mutter.
"No, she hired a whole team of experts or something to keep her business in line." Peeta says.
"She hasn't visited in a year, maybe it will be good for a change." I say shrugging my shoulders.
"Yeah and maybe it won't." Haymitch says.
"Keep it positive, Haymitch." Peeta says standing up.
"Leaving already?" He asks while hugging us goodbye.
"Yeah, I have to unpack."
"I'm sure that's it." Haymitch says smirking. I give him the death stare and Peeta looks at me confused. When we start walking towards the door, I turn back to see Haymitch laughing behind us.
"Is it a joke I'm not apart of?" Peeta asks turning around.
"Something like that, huh sweetheart?" I roll my eyes as he smirks.
"What is it?"
"Oh, just something we talked about while you were away." He smiles.
"It's nothing, let's go." I say leaving through the door. Peeta follows me and I hear Haymitch close the door.
"What was that about?" Peeta says to me and we walk towards our house.
"Nothing." I say.
"We aren't very good at not lying to eachother." He rings. I give him a look as we enter the house and I follow Peeta into the kitchen. I grab his hand and he turns to look at me.
"I'm serious, it really was nothing."  I say looking into his eyes.
"So why can't you tell me then?"
"I don't know." I say looking down. I don't need him worrying about my thoughts, I think.
"Fine." He says letting go of my hand. "Tell me when you're ready." He walks over to the fridge and grabs a few tomatoes.
"Peeta," I say walking towards him.
"No, Katniss. It's fine, just tell me later." He says while getting a knife to cut the tomato.
"You wouldn't understand if I told you." He turns to look at me.
"I always understand, don't I?" He asks. "When you got drunk I wasn't mad, I understood. I understood when you were mad at Gale. I understood you when I didn't want to stay here but I did so you could sleep." He huffs and gives me a look.
"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that. I just don't know how to tell you about it without you worrying about me." I say looking at the floor. He sets the knife and half diced tomato on the cutting board. He dries his hands off on the dish towel and he pulls me towards him. "I'm always going to worry, darling."
"You shouldn't." I mumble. He sighs.
"I'm sorry. We can drop it, alright?"
"Yeah." I say as I hide my face in his shoulder. He shouldn't have to drop things for me.
_
After dinner we clean up and head upstairs. I lay down and he lays beside me. He shuts the light off on our bedside table. I start to think about how he just gave up his frustration. He's given up so much for me, and he shouldn't have to.
"Peeta," I say. "If you really want to, I can." He turns his head and looks at me. He gives me a look and I sigh. "I mean have kids. Not right now, I'm not ready yet. But I will someday."
He sits on his elbow and looks at me. "No." He sternly.
"I thought you wanted them?" I say puzzled. He face softens and takes a breath.
"I do, but I'm not pushing you into this."
"No, your not. I promise. I was just scared but I've realized there's nothing to be scared about anymore." He gives me one last look before I smile and shrug it off.
That night, as Peeta kissed me, I felt it again. The hunger, the craving.