Promises and Tears.

*Willow's POV*

I sit on my window seat, with my knees pulled tightly to my chest. A tear streams down my cheek, and I don't bother to wipe it. I stay in that position whilst glancing outside my window. I can usually see vast mountains and hills, but my window is painted with water droplets. I watch the rain fall elegantly onto the ground, and this makes me feel slightly better; I've always loved the rain. I gently reach down to crack my window so I can hear the sound of the rain hitting my window ledge, and a cool breeze dances along my body.

Although I would never admit it aloud, Mom was right. My body does ache. And the pain reminds me of how terrified I was when he grabbed me. I can still feel his handprints along my wrists and neck.

The thought of his hands bring even more tears to my eyes, and suddenly they become flooded with water along my waterline. I bury my head in my knees as I begin to sob, and my breathing becomes rapidly worse. My heart flutters high into the sky, and it feels like it will never come down.

I soon feel a hand around my shoulder, pulling me into them. I don't dare look up, but once I feel his arms around me I know it's Flynn.

"It's okay, sweetheart." He runs his hand down the back of my head, and I lean into his chest. I shake my head as I cry, and I feel bad for soaking his shirt with my tears.
"I'm—I'm so—sorry." I manage to get out in between cries. He hushes me and holds me tighter.
"Do you remember your favorite page in the book you always read?" He asks quietly, still running his hand through my hair. "I think it's page 229."
I nod my head, and he continues. "I've seen you read that page thirteen times, and every single time you read it, you smile. So I want you to picture that page and start smiling, because I can't stand to see you upset."

I squeeze my eyes shut, trying to picture the page. Even though they're just words written down on paper, they mean so much to me. They've always cheered me up when I've felt down and it's clearly working now, because I realize my tears have slightly stopped.

I look up at Flynn and he gives me a smile while I wipe the tears off my cheeks. I look down at my hands, and one more tear falls silently along my face. As I stare at my fingers aimlessly, I can faintly hear my parents screaming at each other downstairs.

"Are they fighting about me?" I croak quietly through my tearful voice. He shrugs his shoulders and leans back against the wall while still looking at me.
"I think they're both worried and can't agree on what to do next, Lo." He says with a sad tone, but his face displays a short smile. I nod my head and I turn to look at my window, watching the teardrops race against the glass as the rain falls heavier.

I wish I was the rain. I wish I could fall so elegantly from the sky and soak everything underneath me, and then create a rainbow as the sun came out. Maybe then, everyone would like me. If I was the rain, nobody would ask me for answers on the homework, and everyone would know me for me, not someone I'm associated with. They would like me for me.

I turn and look at Flynn. He's watching the rain through the window too, and doesn't seem to notice my shift in glance. I study his jawline and face shape, and I notice how he's perfect inside and out. His physical features are excellent, and he inherited his dads looks, but those don't matter. His compassion for others, and his natural kindness could never compete with any other being alive. I wish everyone could be sweet like him. If they were, none of this would've happened.

That thought brings tears to my eyes.

I let a few fall before hiding my face in his shoulder, and he stills as I do so. He wraps his arm around me and uses his other to play with my hair. I begin to cry, and he hushes me.

"You're okay, Willow." He says softly. "He can't hurt you anymore."
"But he can," I remark as I look up from his arms. "He knew my name and he knew Mom. It's just a matter of time before he comes back."
He shakes his head and runs his fingers through my hair once more.
"I won't let him near you," he reassures me. A single tear runs down my cheek and I try to fight others back as he gently wipes it off my cheek. I look up at him with water filling my eyes, and he pulls me into his chest. "It's okay, sweetheart. It's okay to cry."

My barrier that was barely holding up suddenly breaks, and I begin to sob into his chest. He continues to comb his fingers through my hair and down my head, and holds me tightly.

I'm not sure if I can do this anymore.

_

*Katniss's POV*

I throw an apple at him, and it hits him directly in the chest. I fight the urge not to laugh, and I watch him turn at me.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" He asks with his eyebrows furrowed. I shrug softly and turn around.
"A lot." I admit, and he huffs out a loud sigh. I know I'm angering him, but that's what I do on a daily basis, so he should be used to this behavior.
"You do realize that Willow is upstairs crying her eyes out, and you're down here chucking apples at me, right?" He asks dumbfounded, and I nod my head.
"She doesn't want me, Peeta." I remark while messing with random items that are sitting on the countertop. "I might as well give her space before you force her to go to the Capitol."

He rolls his eyes and throws a napkin at my face as he turns around.
"We both made that decision." He says, with a slight tone to his voice.
"Oh, yes. I remember you listening to my opinion so well." I glare up at him and scoff, laughing at his remark. I notice his jaw shift after I say this, and his eyes glance off before returning to my face with a cold look.

"Katniss, I know how much you hate the Capitol and I know how much you dislike the idea of going there, but I'm not going to stand back while Willow goes through the same thing you did. He broke you, Katniss. He broke your spirit and soul. I watched as you barely pieced yourself back together, and I felt useless. I've learned from my mistakes, and I know how I can help this time. I have to go to the Capitol, and if that's without you then that's your choice. Please, don't fight me on this."

His words change my point of view. All of a sudden, my brain stops thinking about what I want, and starts thinking about what could be best for Willow. If there's any chance that I could stop this from happening, shouldn't I take it?

The thought of her being like me kills me.