My Fault.

*Flynn's POV*

As I'm finishing the dishes, I hear the front door open. I lean forward to see who it is, and I see his blonde hair in the door frame. Half of me feels relief from the sight of him, but I also worried for how he'll react to Katniss's great amount of worry. I know him, and I know he'd never want her to be that concerned over him.

"Hello, Flynn." He says, walking through the kitchen doorway. I smile at him while scrubbing the last dish, and he sets his work bag on the table. "You didn't have to do those dishes."
"I wanted to," I start. "Plus, I'm waiting for Willow, and you know how long she takes to get ready."
"Oh, yes." He laughs, and I see him look into the living room at the couch. "Are you guys going somewhere?"
"I was going out and she wanted to tag along." I remark, setting the dish down on the drying rack. I dry my hands off on the towel next to me, and I look back at him but his eyes are towards the living room again.
"I'm going to go check on Katniss," he says quietly before moving towards the connecting door on the other side of the kitchen.

As he reaches the door, he turns back towards me and hesitates. He gives me a final look before speaking again, and I turn towards him.
"Keep her safe, Flynn." He says, and it's almost as if I can see the exhaustion radiating from him.
"Always." I reassure him, and he gives me a short smile before turning back towards the door. "Peeta, wait."
"Do you need something?" He asks while turning around, and I notice the smile is still on his face, so I assume he hasn't seen Katniss yet.
"She cried herself to sleep." I start quietly. "Be gentle with her today."

He stares at me for a moment before nodding, and I watch as he turns back around and moves through the doorway. I sigh before walking out of the kitchen and towards the stairs. I wait for a few moments, and I see her blonde hair appear from behind the corner.

"Are you ready to go?" I ask quietly, waiting at the bottom of the steps.

She nods her head and begins down the stairs, and I watch her every move, scanning for any signs of pain. She meets me at the end of the staircase and I smile as I smell her sweet fragrance—my favorite.

"Are you okay, sweetheart?" I ask, my eyes trailing down her beautiful purple dress. The locket I gave her looks beautiful with it, but nothing could ever be more beautiful than her.
"I'm okay," she says with a smile.

I look down at her before nodding, and then I lean down and plant a kiss on her lips. She kisses me back, but I pull away after a few moments. I entwine my hand in hers before leading her towards the door. I look back towards the living room, and I can see Katniss and Peeta, but my heart sinks as I watch Peeta comforting Katniss, and it sinks ever deeper as I hear her cries.

I wish she could be okay. I remember this period after she came home from the hospital where she was almost happy, but now it's as if she's completely gone, and the only thing left of her is a shell of who she used to be. Of course, I don't blame her for this. None of this is her fault, nor will it ever be, but I've seen the toll it has taken on both Willow and Rye. She doesn't deserve to be this unhappy, and neither does Willow and Rye, or Peeta.

I guide Willow through the door and I close it behind myself, letting go of her hand in the process. I look back at her to see a frown, but I laugh it off and grasp her hand again.

"Look at the sunset," she remarks, pointing with her free hand. "It's so beautiful."
"Yes, it is." I say, but my eyes aren't gazing at the sunset. I memorize the way the soft-orange shines on her face, and I study every freckle on her face in the light as well.

I stare at her for a few more moments until I'm interrupted by the sound of cameras clicking and lights flashing. I tighten my grip on Willow slightly, and I look away from her to see a crowd of people. They form a circle around us, enclosing us to be forced to answer more of their ridiculous questions and demands about our lives.