Lies.

*Katniss's POV*

I walk towards him and he sighs while looking down at his arm. The once-white gauze is now painted red, and streaks of blood line his arm. I gently begin to unwrap it, unveiling his injury. A huge gash runs along his arm until his elbow, and there's a slight bruising around his wrist. As l clean his wounds, I realize this makes me feel more close to Prim and my mother than I've felt in a significant while. Helping him makes me feel as if their legacy lives on, even if I'm barely doing a simple task.

"How could you have possibly even gotten this, Peeta?" I ask while stopping for a moment to analyze the depth of the injury. It doesn't seem so severe to the point of hospice, but it's still not well.
"You've got a really pretty thinking face," he starts while smirking at me; changing the subject. I glare up at him and he rolls his eyes while slouching his back slightly. He's leaned against the countertop but his posture is still quite straight. "I accidentally dropped a knife—that's all."
"I've never seen you do something like that before," I remark while finishing the wrapping on his wrist. I run my fingertips along the seam softly to make sure it's secure, then finally back away. "Why do you insist on lying to me?"

Before he can answer, Willow walks into the kitchen, cutting the conversation short. I give him one final glare before turning towards Willow with a fake smile plastered on my face. She gives a short smile before grabbing her coat off of the table. She quickly throws it on and turns towards us.

"May I go over to Flynn's house?" She asks so politely anybody would find it hard to say no.
"Yes," he pauses before looking at me to make sure it's fine. After I nod, he continues. "What time will you be back?"
"Possibly around dinner time if that's alright with you. I haven't hung out with him in a while." She begins to walk towards the door and she yells her goodbye before the door closes behind her. I find myself waiting for Rye to appear in the doorway, but he never does. I tilt my head slightly to peer into the hallway yet he's nowhere to be seen.

I turn towards Peeta and his eyes are lost in a cookbook that was sitting on the island. I laugh slightly at the sight, then remembering I'm supposed to be frustrated, and turn away from him.

He makes it so difficult to be mad at him.

I walk out of the kitchen and into the living room to find Rye sitting in the corner of the room. I begin to sit beside him and he uses his sleeve to wipe his nose and tears.

"What's the matter, darling?" I ask softly while brushing the hair off of his face. He pulls his knees towards his chest like I do and I can't help but smile gently at the sight.
"Willow wouldn't let me go with her," he starts as another tear falls down his face. "I just wanted to play with them."
"I'm sorry, Rye." I whisper at him, wiping the tear off his cheek with my thumb. "She loves you so much and I'm positive she didn't mean to hurt your feelings."

He nods but I can see the sadness still lurking in the bottom of his eyes.

"Why don't we go out today?" I ask while smiling. "Just you and me."
"Can we stop at the bakery to get a snack?" He asks with grin appearing on his face.
"How could I say no to you?" I laugh as I get up and pull him with me.

As we walk I interlock my hand with his and swing it as we run up the stairs. I run into his room while picking him up and carefully tossing him onto the bed. He starts laughing and his giggles make me break into a laughter as well. I rummage through his drawer and pick out some clothes for him to wear. I playfully throw them into his face and he dramatically falls back as they hit him. I laugh as I walk out of the room and into mine, changing into something more fit to be on camera.

I'm not saying that I care about the reporters or cameras whatsoever, but with the opening of the bakery and the hundreds of people visiting District 12 everyday, I'd rather not look like a mess. I always thought that I'd be able to lead a normal life after the revolution and games, but I seem to be proved wrong every day.