Trying to be Fine.

*Peeta's POV*

Out of the corner of my eye, I spot Willow meekly standing in the doorway. I turn my head towards her, setting my palette down, and she begins to walk in, closing the door gently behind her.

"May we talk?" She asks whilst sitting down in a chair opposite to where I'm standing, in front of a canvas.

I'm not positive on what she wants to speak about, maybe she's worried for school tomorrow, considering it will be her first day back. Although, that's out of her character—she seems to have taken on Katniss's bold characteristics.

"About what?" I ask staring at the portrait of Katniss, Rye and Willow.

I don't have a reference, I've always loved using my memory. It helps me remember all the small details of their faces, and when I think of them, I don't just see the picture in my head. I see them as a whole, personality and traits included.

"Mom," she pauses while bringing one knee close to her chest, "and you." I look over to her with a puzzled look. I don't understand, Katniss truly has been thriving since she came back. She's been happy, and I'm not sure why that's alarming to Willow. I watch as she sighs and continues on. "You can't leave her again. You weren't there to see her, and I know she told you to leave, but it was heartbreaking, Dad."
"She seemed fine when I returned," I remark, thinking back to when I came home—she was desperate for me to stay. "It was merely a night, Willow."
She looks up at me and shrugs her shoulders. "She's always upset, or crying, and frankly I can't handle all of the tears. It's ridiculous—I can't help her. She only listens to you. There's no point in trying when she just breaks down."

I try to fathom an explanation for her, because she'll never truly understand what Katniss went through. She'll never know the pain of losing a sibling, or being tossed into a bloodbath.

"You have no idea what she's gone through, Willow. I understand your frustration, but I don't want to hear you talk about your mother like that again. You and I both know how intelligent you are. So use that to your advantage and try and figure out why she might be so upset, why she might be hurting half of the time. It's not because she's dramatic, she's strong. Where do you think you got those qualities from?" I ask while picking my paintbrush back up. I brush even strokes on the painting before Willow begins to speak up again.

"I didn't mean it like that," she huffs while looking at me. I continue painting the canvas diligently, but I still give her my attention.
"What did you mean then?" I ask calmly, showing no irritation. She hesitates before deciding not to answer. I sigh and look over at her. "I don't expect you to understand her, Willow. Sometimes, I don't either. But, you have to see that she's just trying to do what's best for everyone else." I can't control what she does or thinks. It's not her fault that she's frustrated. And it's not her fault that she's unable see eye to eye with Katniss.

I watch as she nods, then slowly stands up. She makes her way towards the door and gently leaves the room. I begin to paint again, but the soft details of Willow's cheeks remind me of her innocence. She's just a child, and I'm sure it's overwhelming for her. I feel bad for what I've said, but I can't take it back. I know she'll come around eventually, she has Katniss's stubbornness after all.

_

*Katniss's POV*

I'm doing fine. I've started to actually like being alive. The coldness from Willow has somewhat, melted away. She is surprisingly going to school tomorrow after almost 3 weeks of absences. I know she enjoys being at the schoolhouse, even if it's to get away from me.

I begin to set the table by placing a bowl on each placemat, prepared for the soup Peeta has made. I haven't been able to obtain my desire for nourishment though, and I'm underweight, but things take time. Although I still feel like a burden to him, I know he has my best interest at heart and doesn't see me that way.