Dead.

*Katniss's POV*

I wake up suddenly, and I squint my eyes as the sun shines through the windows. I peer over to my side, where I see Peeta asleep. The house is quiet, and I take a moment to look around. Is this another dream or real life? I turn around, running my hand along the pillow behind me; at least I'm awake this time. I lie back down on my back, and I watch Peeta's chest rise and fall.

As I'm watching him, there's a faint knock on the door. Reluctantly, I swing my legs over the bed and I get up. I carefully walk towards the door, avoiding the creaks in the floor. I gently open the door, and I look down to find Willow standing there with a blanket in her hand.

"Morning, Mama." She yawns, and I smile. "Is Dad awake yet?"
"No, he's asleep." I say, widening the door so she can see.

She peers in and I watch as she sulks down at the sight. Her eyes cast down to the floor, and the sight makes me sad. I look back once more at Peeta, and I pause. He can sleep later.

"You can wake him up, darling." I say quietly.

She smiles up at me and walks into the room. She climbs up onto the bed and gently climbs on top of him. She places her hands on each side of his face and shakes him. He flashes a smile before pretending to still be asleep, and he begins to snore loud. I start laughing and Willow looks at me with a frown. I give her a look, saying to keep trying, and she turns back to him. She shakes him one more time, and he finally 'wakes up' and looks at her.

"Morning, sunshine." He says, messing up her hair.

I stand there watching them interact, before turning around and walking through the door. As I walk towards the bathroom, I'm startled by the phone ringing downstairs. I redirect myself and quickly walk down the stairs. I reach for the phone as I round the bottom of the stairs, and I place the phone to my ear.

"Hello?" I ask into the phone. A lady responds to me, and I lean against the wall as I listen to her speak.
"Hello, is this Ms. Everdeen?" A lady asks. "I'm from the District 2 Hospital."
"Yes, that's me." I start.
"I'm Doctor Keene," she pauses for a moment, and then comes back to the phone. "This is going to be hard to hear, but I have to inform you of your mother's passing."
"Excuse me?" I ask, shocked. "You must have the wrong person."
"You are Katniss Everdeen, correct?" She asks. "Clara Everdeen is your mother?"
"No—I mean yes she is but—" I stutter. "I just talked to her, she wasn't sick."
"It wasn't by sickness, dear, she took her own life." 
"I—" I struggle to get any words out.
"I'm so sorry." She says, and I drop the phone before running to the door.

I slam my body against the door, and the tears stream down my face. My hands shake as I mess with the lock, and I hear footsteps upstairs. I sob as I struggle to get the door open, and it finally unlatches. I stumble across the porch and towards the walkway, but I fall short. I fall to my knees and I cover my face with my hands. My heart feels like it's cracking, and I can barely breathe.

How can she be gone? How can my entire family be gone? I have no one left—I have nobody—she's gone. She left me. How am I supposed to move on after this? She was the only other one who shared the feelings of losing my father and sister. Now she added to it. Now I have even more feelings, and nobody who understands.

Arms wrap around me, and they hold me tightly. "Katniss, are you alright?" He asks, his voice strong but worried. "Did someone do something to you?"
"She's gone." I cry, and he runs his hands through my hair.
"Who, Katniss?"
"My mother." I say, and his arms become tense. He doesn't say anything, and after a few moments his arms tighten again and his hands move back to my hair. He stays like this for a while, holding me as I cry.

He breaks the sound of cries and interjects.

"You're going to be okay," he says, urging me to stand up. I comply, and he helps me to stand. I try to take a step, but my body feels numb. "Come on," he starts. "One step at a time."