Star People.

*Katniss's POV*

I'm walking back from her funeral. It was beautiful, but it was terribly sad. A lot of people showed up, but they didn't mean anything. I didn't want Willow and Rye to go. They're too young—too gentle. They were a bit confused, but I didn't have the heart to explain it to them. Rye wouldn't understand but I knew Willow would, and that's what I was scared of.

"Are you alright?" Peeta asks. I shrug and kick a rock on the path.
"I'm fine." I say. My mother wasn't the best out there, but she did love me. And I know she's with Prim now, and it's probably for the best.  I just can't help the feeling that I'm alone. "Is my face all red and puffy?" I ask embarrassed.
"No, you look perfect." He says. I knock on Johanna's door. She and Birch watched the kids while we were away. Johanna doesn't really like funerals and stuff so she watched them.

"Hey, brainless." She says opening the door. I smile softly and laugh.
"Hey." I reply. I see Willow and Rye walking to the door and they run to hug us.
"Hi, Mama!" Rye exclaims. I pick him up and embrace him. It feels good to hug someone after crying.
"How was Johanna and Birch's house?" I ask. They both nod excitedly and we exchange goodbyes. "Let's go." I say to Peeta. He nods and follows behind me holding Willow's hand.

"Mama, Johanna taught us all about trees! She said there's Maples, Pines, and even trees named Birch, just like Birch!" I smile and nod.
"Did you know there's Willow trees?" She gasps dramatically and I laugh.
"I have a tree like me?" She asks excitedly.
"Yeah, they have really long leaves that 'weep' down. That's why it's called a "Weeping Willow." She smiles and continues on.
"She also taught us about axes. She said she used to throw them and do stuff with them but I don't believe her."
"Must be making up stories." I laugh nervously. Seriously, Johanna?
"How about we talk about something else?" Peeta cuts in. "Like drawing."

Willow nods and goes on and on about painting and coloring. I mouth 'thank you' to Peeta—for changing the subject. She doesn't need to know about the hunger games quite yet. She'll learn in school anyways.

When we get home, I decide to lay down. I'm not feeling the best—I'm trying to act like I'm fine but I'm not.

"I'm gonna lay down, is that alright?" I ask while walking in the house.
"Yeah." He nods, looking at me worriedly. I nod and go upstairs.

I gently close the door behind me and change into comfy clothes. I wash the light makeup off my face, half of which is running, and clean the sink up afterwards. I lie down and close my eyes, concealing my tears. I really hate crying all of the time, it makes me feel weak.

_

*Peeta's POV*

I'm really worried for Katniss. This all came out of the blue, and she was already struggling. I just wish she knew it was okay not to be tough all of the time.

"Dad?" Willow asks. I walk over to her and she jumps up. "Can we watch tv?" Rye nods behind her and I smile.
"Yeah, sure." I grab the remote and turn it on. Of course, it goes straight to the news channel. I try to click off as fast as I can but I see Willow staring at it.

"Why are you on tv? Are you and Mama in trouble?" She asks with tears in her eyes.
"No, no." I say rubbing her shoulder. "They probably just recorded us by accident, darling." I reassure her before flipping the channel to a random cartoon. I'm startled when I hear screaming, but I quickly realize it's Katniss.
"Here," I say handing the remote back to Willow. "I'll be right back." And I start up the stairs.

_

*Willow's POV*

I watch as Dad goes upstairs to Mama, and I know she's upset. I feel bad when she screams, although I'm not sure why she does. She does it at night too, and sometimes it scares me. I go to Rye's room when that happens, and he usually is awake too. He makes me feel less lonely, and I'm glad to have him.

"Willow?" Rye taps my shoulder and I turn to look at him.
"Yeah?" I ask in response, waiting for him to answer.
"Could you please turn the sound up, Ducky?" Ducky is his nickname for me, because Mama calls me 'Little Duck.'
"I can try." I smile.

I put the remote on the coffee table and sit on the floor. I look at all the buttons on the small remote and decide which one to press. I have three options, one says a word, another has a plus and minus, and the last has arrows going up and down.

"Which one do you think it is?" I ask him.

He shrugs and I roll my eyes. I choose the arrows because it looks like going up and down but it doesn't switch the volume. Instead it switches the channel to the other one again. I watch as people record my Mama and Dad walking in the street. I stare at it as they go up and ask questions to them. Mama looks annoyed, and Dad does too.

"The star-crossed lovers! What are you two doing outside today?" I hear a lady ask.
"Star people?" I mumble. Rye looks at me and shrugs.
"Maybe we shouldn't be on this, Ducky." He starts.
"I don't know how to change it back!"

"Just a walk. Like always." I hear Mama talk through the tv.
"How are the kids?" A man asks. Does he mean me and Rye?
"Sorry, we've told you we don't want to talk about them." Dad says.
"Why are they on there? What do they mean always?" I ask. Rye yells for Dad, but I'm sure he can't hear us.

"Hey, Rye stop. Mama is with Dad right now, he probably can't hear us." He nods but looks worriedly at the tv.
"And how's the mockingjay doing?" The lady asks again. Leave Mama and Dad alone, lady.
"Just fine." Mama rings out.

"What's a mockingjay?" I ask.
"You act like I know." Rye rolls his eyes. What is the attitude for? I hear footsteps coming down the stairs and watch as he comes in here.

"I'm sorry, I—" I start.

He gives me a confused look but then looks at the tv. He stares at us and then grabs the remote gently. I'm afraid he's going to turn it off but he just switches it back to the old channel.

"We were trying to turn the volume up so we didn't hear Mama." Rye says, and I watch as a tear runs down his face. Dad picks him up and laughs.
"It's fine, I'm not mad." He looks at me, but I'm still upset. "You lied." I remark, looking up at him. He pauses for a moment, and then resumes rubbing Rye's back.
"What do you mean?" He asks.
"Those lady and guys called you star people."
"Willow, it's nothing. It's not important."
"Is that why Mama screams? Because of that channel?" I ask hoping for an answer.

"No, Willow. It's hard to explain. Mama will tell you when your ready."
"I am! I'm a big girl I swear." I stomp my foot.
"Willow, enough." He flatly says. "You'll upset Mama."

I just want Mama to be happy, I don't want to upset her.

I sit on the couch with my arms crossed and Dad sighs. He shows what the buttons on the tv do, I should've chosen the plus and minus. Oh well.

The rest of the night is slow, feeling like it drags on. When I finally have to go to bed, I have Rye sleep with me. He keeps me company, even if he's annoying sometimes.

"What do you think's wrong with Mama?" Rye asks staring at the ceiling.
"Nothings wrong, Rye. I think she's just scared. Maybe of the star people like on that show." I smile.
"I wonder what star people are." We both laugh.
"Maybe they are those lights in the sky, you know the stars. Maybe their just called people."
"I bet Aunt Prim is a star person." I say.

"Prim is Mama's sister right?" Rye asks.
"Yeah, but she's in the sky now. That's what Dad said. So I guess she is a star person, and maybe buttercup is too."
"I miss buttercup." Rye yawns. "Mama hated him."
"She only liked him on certain days." We both laugh and fall asleep.

I really hope Mama and Aunt Prim were like Me and Rye.
I'm sure they were, right?