Real or Not Real.

*Katniss's POV*

I'm terrified for Willow's first day of school. There's so many possibilities of mishaps that could happen; so many things that could go wrong. I can't help but think about the negatives, completely ignoring the chance of anything positive because in all honesty nothing has ever worked out for me. I'm worried Willow has been cursed with the same luck that I have.

"Morning, Mama," Willow smiles as she skips down the stairs. I give a short smile, pulling her towards me and holding her to my chest tightly.
"You're so grown up." I say pulling away. She looks me in the eye and her dimples begin to show. "You look beautiful."
"Thank you," she starts and I can see her cheeks begin to blush. I laugh slightly while placing my hands on her shoulders and turning her body slightly.

"Your tail is sticking out, Little Duck," I begin while tucking the back of her shirt into her skirt. I hear her laugh but then it comes to a stop, and a frown appears on her face. "What's wrong, darling?"
"What happens if I'm unable to make a friend?" She asks as her eyes become bossy, almost looking as if she's about to burst into tears.
"Willow, you're just like your father. I promise that you'll have no problem making a friend." I reassure her while brushing a strand of hair off of her face. "Come along," I start while standing up. "You can't be late on your first day."

As we all walk towards the school building, I take in the feeling of being in peace. Due to the new laws, the reporters aren't allowed to start patrolling the streets until ten in the morning, for safety of the children as well as us living victors. I feel very grateful to be able to know that my children will be able to walk to and from school freely, being out of the public eye.
She moves towards the door of the schoolhouse but pauses before entering.

"I'm scared, Mama," she starts while looking at me then to Peeta. "I'm terrified."
"You'll be just fine," I start while kneeling down to her level. "Flynn will come and get you after school. You can walk home with him and we'll meet you at the victors gate."
"But what if—" she starts but I quickly cut her off, just like Peeta does when I become anxious.
"Willow, you'll be fine." I say while placing my hand on her cheek. "Now run along, you have friends to make."
She gives a quick nod while taking a deep breath before walking through the door. Peeta's hand finds it's place on my back and I stand up at the gesture.

I can't help but picture the look on her face. She was so scared, and maybe I was too harsh. What if she wasn't ready? What if I made her do something she feels so uncomfortable doing? I don't want to have the same relationship between us as me and my mother. Is this  the beginning of it? Am I the one pushing our relationship to that extent?

"Was I too callous?" I ask as we walk towards home. He shakes his head while turning to look at me.
"No, not at all. She needed a small push and that's what you gave her."

I nod at his response but I can't help but feel some small fraction of guilt. Maybe I was too harsh, maybe she wasn't ready. What if I forced her to do this? I wasn't trying to, more less simply help her get started—fly out of the bird's nest. But maybe I was too rough, too severe.

"I'll apologize when she gets home," I start and his face turns to me.
"Katniss—" he remarks but I cut him off with a hush, trying to plan out my apology. I look towards the ground in front of us and I see a dandelion, bright yellow. I look back towards Peeta and realize he's looking away. I smile softly at the sight of both of them.
He's always reminded me of a dandelion, and both of them symbolize the sign of hope and survival. He reminds me that I'm not alone, and that I'm not doomed. I am able to have goodness in my life. Maybe this is my sign that everything will work out.

_

Willow is to arrive home soon. I hope she feels comfortable on her walk home; walking with Flynn. We never got to visit them last night due to them arriving so late and it must feel like she's talking to a stranger. And by what Annie had described, I'm not sure he's overjoyed with life right now.