Chapter 11

Amara- Then
I bite the inside of my cheek. You knew he would leave, it was only a matter of time.

"Okay." I nod. "When?" I ask he looks away, not meeting my eyes. I'm sure they're glassy I'm trying everything not to cry right now.

"The forth so three days." He says and I just cover my mouth to muffle the pained noise that comes out of it.

Where am I going to live? What am I going to do?

Well, none of that was ever his problem, he just took it upon himself to help me. I'm my parents problem. The thing is the second Matteo steps foot out of this country I'm going to be in a white dress and half way down the aisle. Who's going to stop them if he's not here? It's going to be a lot easier for them to marry me off without Matteo stepping in for me. Shit.

He should've let me marry Santino. I would've been out of the house.

"I'm sorry." He apologises and I just shake my head.

"Don't be." I say finally making eye contact with him.

"New York is going to be amazing and you're going to be amazing." I reach for his hand. "You're going to have a great time in New York City Matteo. New York City." I emphasise and he glances away and wipes his eye.

Is he crying?

"I don't want to leave you here." He tells me and I shrug.

"I'll be okay." I tell him and he just rests his head in his hand and lets out a sigh.

"It's okay." I squeeze his hand.

Silence fills the room, no one makes a sound. I glance up from Matteo to the men behind him. The four of them are just stood watching us. Why?

"Why are they standing there?" I whisper to Matteo looking between the four of them. My uncle, Gio's dad and then both Gio and Jax.

"They were waiting for my answer." He says glancing back at them.

"So you're coming?" Jax asks.

"That's what she said." Gio says and I immediately laugh.

I stand up and give Matteo a hug before heading for the door.

"Where the fuck are you going?" Matteo calls.

Good question.

Where am I going? Back to my parents place? Matteo's place? I don't know I'm just tired. Maybe I'll just crash in Matteo's car till he drops me off somewhere.

"I'm tired. I'm gonna head..." I point at the door trailing off because really I don't know where I'll go.

"You're staying here tonight." Gio's dad says and everyone looks at him like this wasn't discussed and it's new information.

"Oh, well I'll just..." I say pointing upstairs.

"No Amara, we've got stuff to talk about." Matteo says and I just head for the stairs. I don't want to talk about him leaving anymore.

"Matteo it will be okay. You can go to New York and I'll be okay. I'm 20, I can take care of myself. Just go. Get out of here." I tell him. He shakes his head before clearing his throat.

"We need to talk about Santino too." He says and I bite the inside of my cheek. Please be dead.

I head back to my spot on the sofa and cross my one leg other the other. I rest my elbow on my knee and chin on my fist and pretend I'm not bothered so he has a better chance at leaving.

"What about him?" I ask.

"We're gonna have a talk with him properly tomorrow. Deal with a way around this. You won't marry him, I promise." He squeezes my hand.