Chapter 16

Amara- now
A light delicate touch feathers down my cheek and neck. It has to be him, it wouldn't be anyone else.

"Gio?" I hum not opening my eyes just yet.

I don't even remember falling asleep. I was trying to wait up for him but sometimes the late nights are a bit much.

"I'm right here, mon coeur." He squeezes my cheek. My husband.

"It's so late." I yawn remembering the time I went to bed attempting to wait up for Gio.

Gio had been at work all day but called me at about 6pm to say he wouldn't make it home for dinner then again at 8pm to tell me he would be home late.

I tried to wait up for him, I really did but apparently my body couldn't handle it.

"I know, I'm sorry." He apologises as he strokes his thumb over my cheek.

Sorry for so many things.

"Where were you?" I ask closing my eyes and just moving closer to him.

"I was at the warehouse." He tells me and I just nod.

Well now I feel better knowing he wasn't fighting or doing dumb shit whilst I was here and fast asleep.

I nuzzle back into my pillow and try to fall back to sleep. Im so exhausted.

I don't know where it came from, but my body has been under a lot of pressure so that could be why.

"Let's go to Paris." He says stroking my hair with his other hand.

At first I couldn't be sure I heard him correctly. Paris? Right now? In the middle of the night?

"Do you want to go to Paris?" He asks again and my eyes open to look at him, to check if he was lying.

He looks serious.

"Right now?" I ask with a raised eyebrow.

"Yeah." He smiles.

I push myself so I'm sat up and looking between Gio's eyes.

"Let's go." He says and my eyes widen.

"Come on." He helps me out of bed and towards my closet.

"Pack. I'll get the jet ready." He says.

I love Paris so much. Growing up I always dreamed off running away to Paris.

When I told Gio he started making an effort to take me to Paris as often as he could.

We haven't been in a long time. I think the last time we went was before all this mess.

Gio leaves me alone in my closet and I immediately start throwing outfits into my suitcase.

Paris.

****
I walk around the familiar apartment and head straight for the balcony doors.

I open the twin doors and smile as I stare at the Eiffel Tower.

We have the most beautiful view here in Paris, we're so lucky.

Gio and I have an apartment here. He brought it for me as a wedding gift and I love it so much.

When life gets a little too much we can come here and pretend everything is okay.

Gio wraps his arms around my waist and rests his head on my shoulder.

Finally.

Peace.

"I love it here." I admit to him and he nods, placing a kiss to the spot where my neck and shoulder meet.

This is where I've wanted to be my whole life. Paris.

"I know you do." He smiles against my skin and I try not to react to much to it. But it makes me so happy.

"I'm sorry for being so difficult recently. If I could be different I would." I tell him.

"I don't want you to be any different. I love you just the way you are." He tells me and I spin around to face him.

"I love you." I say leaning up to kiss him.

I can't remember the last time we actually kissed. But this feels weird.

I turn back around and lean back into him as I look out of the balcony.

"What do you want to do? We can go out for dinner, for a walk. Anything you want." He tells me.

"Dinner. Then maybe a walk." I say and he nods.

"Get ready, I'll make reservations." He kisses my cheek and I head into the bedroom.

I go through my suitcase, finding the perfect outfit.

After my shower, I get dressed and do my makeup before getting dressed.

Paris. France.

I love it here.

Once I'm ready for dinner, I head out of the bedroom to Gio who is sat at the island on his phone.

"Hey you ready?" He asks noticing me immediately. He stands off of his seat and kisses my cheek.

"You look beautiful, as always." He says and I smile and do a little twirl.

"So beautiful." He smiles, a real smile.

"Let's go, I'm starving." I say holding his hand in mine and heading out of the apartment and to the car that waits for us here.

We both slip into the back of the black SUV together. Gio's hand doesn't once leave my lower back as we leave the apartment to getting in the car.

Once we're sat beside each other his hand slips into mine and he holds our hands on his lap.

I pay my attention out of the window just looking around Paris.

I've always loved the thought of Paris and now that I've experienced it as often as I have, I love it.

I turn back to Gio to see him already looking at me.

"You okay?" He asks and I nod and lean back into him.

"Good." He smiles.

He keeps his arms around me as we drive to the restaurant.

Once we get there Gio gets out first before helping me out. He keeps his arm around me as we make our way into the restaurant.

"Deux pour Moretti." He tells the hostess.

"Oui, par ici s'il-vous-plait." The hostess says and I squeeze Gio's arm in excitement as we make our way over to our table.

As we sit down, Gio immediately orders my favourite wine.

I watch him with a smile on my face as he talks fluently in French to the hostess. She nods and tells him she'll bring it straight over.

"Je vous aime." I love you.

He leans forward and presses a kiss to my lips.

Why does it hurt?