77

Aunt Marge started to make herself at home. Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia usually encourage Harry to stay out of the way, which Harry is only too happy to do. I on the other hand was to sit there and listen to Aunt Marge. Because for some reason she wanted me around.

Aunt Marge, on the other hand, wanted Harry under her eye at all times. So she could boom suggestions for his improvement. She delighted and compared Harry with Dudley, and took huge pleasure in buying him expensive presents while glaring at Harry. As though daring him to ask why he hadn't got a present to. She also kept throwing out dark hints about what made Harry such an unsatisfactory person.

"You mustn't blame yourself for the way the boys turned out, Vernon. If there's something rotten on the inside, there's nothing anyone can do about it." Said Aunt Marge.

We were all eating lunch. I looked over to Harry and his balled fists.

"It's one of the basic rules of breeding. You see it all the time with dogs. If there's something wrong with the bitch, there will be something wrong with the pup." Said Aunt Marge.

I glared at Aunt Marge. At that moment, the wine glass Aunt Marge was holding exploded in her hand. Shards of glass flew in every direction and Aunt Marge spluttered and blinked. Her great ruddy face dripped with wine.

"Marge! Marge, are you all right?" Asked Aunt Petunia.

"Not to worry, must have squeezed too hard. Did the same thing at Colonel Fubster's the other day. No need to fuss, petunia, I have a firm grip...." Said Aunt Marge.

But Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia were looking at me and Harry. Pretty sure that was my fault. Me and Harry excused ourselves and left for our room.

"Sorry, that was my fault. She was talking about Mom again." I said.

"It's alright. We only have a few days left of her here." Said Harry.

At last, at long last, the final evening of Marge's stay arrived. Aunt Petunia cooked a fancy dinner and Uncle Vernon uncorked several bottles of wine. They got all the way through the soup and the salmon without a single mention of Harry's faults. During the lemon meringue pie, Uncle Vernon bored them all with a long talk about Grinnings, his drill-making company. Then Aunt Petunia made coffee and Uncle Vernon brought out a bottle of brandy.

"Can I tempt you, Marge?" Asked Uncle Vernon.

Aunt Marge had already had quite a lot of wine. Her huge face was very red.

"Just a small one, then. A bit more than that..... and a bit more..... That's the ticket." Said Aunt Marge.

Uncle Vernon had filled almost the whole glass full of Brandy. Dudley was on his fourth slice of pie. Aunt Petunia was sipping coffee with her little finger sticking out. I really wanted to disappear into the bedroom and wait until she left. But Uncle Vernon met my eyes and I knew I had to stay.

"Hallie, your son.....are you planning on leaving him here?" Asked Aunt Marge.

"I don't think I understand." I said.

"While you go to school." Said Aunt Marge.

"Marge, Hallie doesn't go to school. Because of her problem." Said Uncle Vernon.

"Ah, so you are dumb." Said Aunt Marge.

"No, I do work here." I said.

"You got a job?" Asked Aunt Marge.

"Yes." I said.

"With cars?" Asked Aunt Marge.

"Cars?" I asked.