Chapter 7

"Kiss me oh before you you go.

Summertime sadness"

I groaned as I woke up to the music blasting in my room. Looking around my room, I noticed that there was no one around, just myself and my comfortable bed. But the music was still playing. Getting up from my bed, I ignored the thought that I needed to make the bed, my feet padded against the soft carpet and across the room until they reached the door. I stopped at my door and my eyes looked straight ahead at mums door that I'd left ajar last night. Mum wasn't in her bed. The bed covers were on the floor.I could imagine mum getting up this morning and struggling to get onto her wheel chair. I looked at the strairs to see that her wheel chair was in the corridor and chair that lets her get down the stairs was at the bottom of the stair case. I could imagine her struggling to get onto the wheel chair at the bottom of the stairs. I sighed and quickly rushed down the stairs. I looked to my right where the living room was, only to see that the TV was on a music channel, and A song by -looking at the tv- lana del rey called summertime sadness was on.

In the living room though, mum was no where to be seen. I rushed to the kitchen where I found her siting at the table in her wheel chair. In her hand was an apple with a few bites taken from it. Mum carried on staring at the fruit and then slowly bit Into it. I stood by the door of the kitchen and watched as she hesitantly chewed on the fruit. She swallowed, enjoying its taste, then smiled. Mum actually smiled. My heart fluttered happily. God is slowly answering my prayers.

Deciding that I had been standing at the door for too long, I walked in the room. Mum senced my presence, but didn't acknowledge it. I felt bad that she didn't feel comfortable around me, her daughter.

"Good morning mum" I spoke cheerfully. I turned the kettle on and turned to her as I waited for a reply. When it didn't come, I decided to ignore the sadness I was begging to feel. I walked to the cupboard in my arms reach. I took out a cup then went to get another one for mum when I stopped and turned to her.

"Do you want a cup of tea or coffee?" I asked her.

There was a pause, I watched her, her head slowly turned to me, her eyes met mine and she shook her head to say 'no' then she smiled.

Happily nodding back to her, I grinned. Mum was starting to respond! She responded to me!

I quickly made some tea and toast, which she kindly refused once again. If she hadn't eaten the apple I would have forced her to eat, but instead, I sat at the dining table, across from her and began to eat my food in silence.

Today is friday, meaning that tomorrow is the day that I am supposedly meant to take sherry shopping. I was looking forward to it I guess, and even though Mr Roundy had offered to look after mum, I wanted her to come with me shopping.

Mum has had to wear my old clothes ever since she's come back from the hospital. I remember when I was 16, Mr Roundy offered to look after me, that's one reason why I wasn't forced into care. He payed for all of mums hospital bills and I still owe him quite a lot of money. I know that he's naturally a good man, but I can't live with him paying for me for nothing in return. That's why taking sherry shopping tomorrow is a good idea. I'm getting to repay him back a little bit of what I owe him. I picked up my cup of tea and blew at the steamy water then sipped It. Inside me I felt warm from the heated water. I looked up and noticed mum stealing sneaky glanced at me, when she saw me looking, she looked away as if she was scared to tell me something.

"Mum? What is I-" I was stopped short and she jumped at the sound of the house phone going off. Placing my cup back on the table. I rushed to the phone in the sitting room, I carefully picked it up ( since I've made the mistake of accidentally ending the calls a few times before) then placed it to my ear.