Chapter 50

I settled next to his bed and was careful not to wake Marie up. She sat in the sofa next to the hospital bed and was sleeping on the bed. Her hand was holding his as he slept soundly. Yet the gray in his skin and the blue if his lips somehow make my heart clench.
He looked dead, the only thing that was showing me signs of his living soul was the beeping of the monitors and the gentle rise and fall of his chest.

"It would be best if you came back tomorrow ma'am" the young nurse whispered and I turned to look at her.

I felt sorry for having to be demanding with her. I'd told her that I would not leave until I saw him at least, when she told me only family are allowed to be here, i panicked and called myself his wife to be, in other words I said I was his fiancé.

I couldn't answer her. I wanted to stay with him until be woke up. What if the surgery hadn't gone right. What if it makes him worse. I couldn't bare to see him in pain.
A son bubbled up in my throat and the nurse began to panic

I held my breath a tried to stop myself from looking stupid. Maybe it would be best if I really left.

"I'm sorry" I whispered, trying not to wake the siblings sleeping soundly

"Ma'am I-"

"You're right, it's best if I go" I mumbled and began shuffling towards the door.

As I took a few steps the monitor began beeping a little quicker. I turned around and saw the panicking nurse who stood frozen.

"I-is he okay?"

She swallowed and dashed to the monitor
"You should go ma'am! I'll call a doctor" the nurse pulled out a small device and clicked the red button on it.

I was hesitant but I couldn't help but look back as I headed towards the door.

The beeping became louder and quicker as his heart accelerated, waking even Marie.

"What's going on?" Marie groaned sleepily , when she realized the situation she gasped "is he alright?!"

I couldn't hold it in anymore. I dashed to his side and gently moved Marie aside as tears rolled down her eyes. He was having an attack. And k hoped he would hear me.

"Ma'am please!" The nurse tried to stop me "please do not touch the patient!"

I ignored her and placed one hand in Daltons whilst the other hesitantly ran through his hair. I sat in the chair close to the bed and began to talk to him

"Dalton..." I spoke softly "it's me Elizabeth, I'm here"

His heart sped up even more. I swallowed and tried again

"Dalton I want you to calm down, it's Elizabeth" He began to panic even more. I squeezed his hand gently

"I-I'm not going anywhere I'll stay here until you wake up" I whispered in his ear.

As his heart slowly calmed so did his body.

"I'll never leave you again" I didn't know why I whispered this but it seemed to fit the moment. He was really listening, and I didn't know how to explain it when he woke up.

I began humming whilst brushing his hair from his face, gently soothing him the best way that I could.

The doctor burst into the room

"Report!" He spoke up, the nurse stood staring at me like I was an alien.

"Doctor...she-the patients fiancé managed to calm him down" she spoke
The doctor looked at me with confusion and walked over to inspect his body.