Chapter 44

The idea of what it should be to loved by someone is very much blurred these days. I've always thought love is a social construct that emotionally unstable individuals create in order to feel supported and appreciated. The thought of having someone to rely on, to share emotions and become one through physical as well as the mental hardships is something anyone would want...to be loved.

As a poet once said "love is the opium of the people" I began to ponder if what I felt for Dalton was really love, or just the result of spending too much time with someone. I couldn't possibly love s man who I hardly knew, a mysterious man who never speaks about his past, who is emotional and sensitive and sometimes selfish. Yet why did I accept him for who he is?

Is it really love?

The house looked unrecognisable when we walked in, there was soft jazz music playing in the background and a lot of people were deep in conversation. We walked straight to the living room with me following Charlotte who somehow had become more mature in the short time I hadn't seen her.

The living room looked somewhat the same all apart from the fact that there was people congregating the middle of the room with wine glasses filled with what looked like champagne. On the other side of the room where the television would  have been was a long table pushed against the wall containing food similar to what had been presented at the party in Korea.

The women seemed to wear casual but glamorous clothing with expensive sequined details and heels. The men wore trousers and shirts, only a few sported the T shirts.

I felt a little bit more relaxed because there was a mixture of clothing rather than the party being strict or formally clothed.

"Come this way". Charlotte hooped her arm to link in with mine "let me introduce you to everyone"

I felt the dread of having so many people watch me and look at me...not to mention the expectation, maybe they'd want to know so much about me that I'm not yet willing to tell.

I nodded and followed suit whilst grabbing to the strap of my bag on my shoulder. Charlotte lead me to the elderly people first who were mostly sitting down on the sofa.

"Grammy!" Charlotte waved and a small pretty elderly woman with shoulder length blonde hair looked up from the man sitting next to her. Charlotte squealed a little and let go of my arm only to rush to the small woman and give her a massive hug.

"Is that you pumpkin?" The woman patted charlottes back whilst looking straight ahead, I noticed the look and the grey eyes similar to Dalton's.

Charlotte pulled back a little and put on a mockingly hurt expression. "Grammy you can't even remember the voice of your favourite grandchild?"

"Of course I do dear" the lady chuckled "I'm just getting old that's all"

Charlotte crossed her arms like a little spoilt brat "well don't!"

Even I was confused at that exactly the little girl was demanding. Her grandmother along with the dark haired man next to him who looks awfully a lot like Dalton's dad laughed.

"You're not allowed to get old" she mumbled

I couldn't contain my confusion for what was going on. Is this how rich people acted?

"Alright alright sweetheart " the man spoke in a strong foreign accent "I won't let her get any older" he winked

Charlotte smiled brightly before going to hug the man. "Thank you abuelo"