Chapter 41

I sighed in relief as my head finally hit my sheets, the scent of my shampoo along with the bedcover washing-soap engulfed me ...I knew I was home.

Not only had it been a struggle to get into these sheets as I had been thrown with so many reasons as to why I should have stayed at Dalton's house, one reason being that it was such as ungodly hour that I was leaving. And even I knew that my entire family and friends would have been sleeping, I could have called to let them know that I was at a friends house, yet my stubborn behaviour dictated my decisions that I found my self rushing away from Dalton's grip, past his intimidating sister and soon I was gone.

I cringe at the thought of my actions, it was literally a Cinderella moment, no one was able to say goodbye or even had the chance to offer to call the cab drivers, that I felt silly when I was locked out of the apartment with the thought "how do I get home?"

Of course I couldn't turn back. I didn't  want to have to face Dalton's sisters indifferent yet disappointed face. When she had walked in and saw us, there was a flash of recognition between us, she smiled knowing that her statement , meeting someone more than once is considered friendship, had actually turned out to be true.

Then she saw the way I was flustered, in her brother's arms, with an intimate yet comfortable hold, as a woman I felt bad, I could almost see the judgement that she may have been thinking, the fact that I could be taking advantage of Dalton...the thought made mean feel sick.

It's all wrong, the whole relationship is wrong, the entire circumstances are wrong. I don't want people to see me as the assistant who like many before ends up with her boss. So part of me understands why Marie acted that way towards me.

I sneeze and settle deeper into the covers as a chill settles over my  skin. I was tired and somewhat hungry...the type of hunger that came from stress. I feel cold and groggy from the long walk I endured to get to the bus  station since it was cheaper than  cab.

I used the map on the phone, it said it'll take me a few minutes yet I ended up walking for what felt like hours, it was nippy cold and windy, the type of wind that could blow you to a different continent. I refused to turn back and go to his house.

So here I am defrosting in my bed, snuggling in my thick sheets as much as I could. As  Sherry next to me snores softly, I realise how tired I actually am and force my eyes shut. I ignore the shattering of my teeth. One more sneeze and sleep consumes me...

My heavy and lidded eyes force themselves to shut yet I persist to keep strong, I feel heavy and am aching all over . After going over the recent schedule I find myself once again behind, today another  group of representatives of a well known fashion magazine company are coming for a meeting. The meeting part wasn't my place to be, but afterwards the two CEOs wanted to have their own private meeting in Dalton's office. I was to prepare a tea and then bring lunch. Heavily shuffling my feet from the room I exit my office, I head to the bathroom to grab some tissue for my runny nose. Once I am stocked up  and sniffed out, I wash my hands and head to the kitchen to make the coffees, I decide to try a coffee in the morning in order to wake my body. Today of all days Dalton was a little late, I had all sorts of things that I wanted to say to him in reflection to how the previous day had ended between us. I clutch my head in one hand as the pounding sensation starts once again...I knew it was a fever or something, but I could pull through s day of it with some paracetamol or something.

I finish my coffee in the kitchen room and to say it helped would not be the truth, it made me feel sickly. I hear Dalton walk past the corridor straight into his office, my heart thumping at the thought of what I would say to apologise.
I make his coffee slowly, contemplating and arranging a mass of things I would say to him about last night. When I'm finished I juggle the mug in my hand whilst heading to my office where I  grab the necessary  notes before heading to his office. I knock softly and he mumbles in a slightly annoyed tone showing that I will have a terrible start to the day.