Chapter 21

The food wasn't bad...I mean there was a mixture of everything from all over the world and I could definitely imagine why , there was too many people from abroad in the gathering . Everyone seemed to know each other and content with just sipping on wine or champagne, I was the only one lurking around the long table of nibbles that well, I got odd looks from people, I say odd because a lot of people looked me up and down as thought judging if my clothing choice was up to their standards.

Fashion people I thought

The worrying thing about the whole setup was that there were no chairs, I wondered how the elderly people could stand for so long and not get any pain, unlike me with my already aching back and ankles from the heels. I had the body of a 70 year old in my twenties. It had been thirty minutes since I last saw my boss being whisked away in the grip of that gorgeous enchantress, and I was tempted to follow them yet the way mr bus ticket man addressed for me to meet him at twelve thirty meant he didn't want me with him. The thought made me feel bitter towards him, especially because he was the one who invited me, the one who forced me to memorise countless faces names and their details and the one who abandoned me.

chuckling at my thoughts I knew I sounded like a child. I shook my head and popped a small pastry thing in my mouth, I say thing because I had no idea what what I was putting in my mouth, nor the secrets of what could be in its interior .

Wow...I thought... the garlic is strong in this thing.
Taking a sip of my drink to wash out the garlic I began to realise what I had done.
I am drinking alcohol!
I never drink alcohol!
Why am I drinking alcohol?!
I knew the reason why I was drinking, and the fact that I hadn't even noticed my sudden urge to have this much intake of alcohol was..shocking.
I'm always calm, I'm always focused, But I guess tonight is my way of- living a little?
I chuckled again at the thought, then looked around to see if anyone saw...I scanned the crowd and faces.
short man, short man, tall lady, round lady, skinny tall young man...so many faces!

I recognised some of the men and women around the room, noting whom they were with and everything. Among them, a particular face stood out. This person was one that I had been curious about even as I read the document

Mr Harrison. A young entrepreneur who became a millionaire at the young age of 25, now in his mid thirties he was enjoying life, traveling the world, yet still managed to do business I see.

Now that's what you call an ambitious man. I thought
I was itching to talk to him. Why? Because I wanted advice, I wanted to know his secrets to success , and how he did. It all on his own.
Unlike me bus ticket man who was handed the business, this man was the raw thing, he'd worked hard.
I must have been staring for way too long because his eyes snapped up and he looked around the room, I caught a flash of his bright blue eyes that made the grown man look youthful.
I panicked, my body suddenly beginning to twitch, I didn't know which way to turn or go, but I could feel eyes on me.
Don't move, act normal, look graceful. I told myself...I really wanted to look and check just to see if he was looking at me. The thought of me going to the other side of the room to try and find my boss crossed my mind, but he may have been busy. I was his last yearbest work assistant after all, this meant I was only needed when he needed assistance. I mean he made it clear that he didn't need assistance earlier.
My eyes had been wondering around as I was thinking about my boss. I did not realise why I was suddenly looking into the eyes of Mr Harrison who watched me behind his stylish vogue like glasses.
Time to go my mind and body snapped at his enticing eyes, I quickly pulled up my long dress using my Free hand before hobbling sway as quickly as I could.
Great...talk about graceful
I knew how I looked, he must have known if been looking at him, I could sill feel his gaze, looking back to catch his watchful eyes, all I could notice was his blue eyes. I mean the man was handsome which made me even more nervous, I wondered what he thought about me. Unlike mr bus ticket man he could see me as I am, especially having worked with models from all over the world it would seem unusual that I was there.
Abandoning my glass in champagne on a random ushers tray I picked up the sequinned dress my other hand.

"Excuse me, is there another exit? I need some fresh air " I asked the usher, I knew I couldn't go through the front, people were coming in for goodness sake! I'd look weird going out.

"Oh right this way ma'am" the young Australian sounding man dropped his duty of walking about the room with a trey in his hands and ushered me out. I smiled as it almost seemed he was happy enough to get out as I was.
Swerving skilfully thought the crowd with a trey and multiple glasses on it the young man glance back to make sure I was following.

He led us to a dark light corridor that smelt of cinnamon and honey, before pointing at the open door at the end of the corridor.

"The garden is just beyond those doors" he nodded, he looked more relaxed in his gestures than before "I'll show you...if you would like"
He added quickly

I smiled and nodded "please"

We walked sue by side now, I took in his appearance, young, seemed like a student. He was very tanned and looked Hawaiian, strong jaw and sharp drop features, he was slim and tall. He looked down at me with his hazel eyes and smiled.
Sherry would love you I thought with a slight smile. I had yet to call her
"Sorry ma'am?"

I looked at him in confusion " did I you say something? If so I'm Sorry  I didn't hear it, I tend to-"

"No you said something" he said in an amused tone. "Something about sherry?"

My eyes snapped up at him "I did...didn't I" I spoke slowly as I mentally slapped myself.

"Well, I have to get back to work" he smiled " you're lucky it's empty, it's more peaceful it here when no one is out"
Realising the fresh air and cool breeze brushing agains my bare skin, I turned to the grand garden in front of me, the small veranda we were standing on was open with white decorative flowers  curving around the door area, a big fountain stood a good few feet away but what grabbed me the most was the small little  getaway hut like swing to my left. I could smell the freshly watered grass even in the night, and after being hot and bothered inside it was refreshing to be out.

I was content . Breathing in and out I turned to the boy who was staring at me with a curious expression. He quickly  adjusted herself and smiled.

"Ma'am" he nodded his head about to leave.

"Wait" I called out and he turned " would you keep me company for a few minutes? If that's okay"

He paused for a Second before heading to the swing I was walking to. I sat down and watched him stand next to me and professionally place a hand behind his back, the trey in one hand causing me to laugh.

"I wanted someone to talk to, not a personal butler slash bodyguard" I laughed, he awkwardly grinned and scratched the back of his head, he was cute, he reminded me of Harry back home. "Come on sit down" I patted next to me. He frowned, eyes darting from the spot where my hand had just been to my eyes.  "I promise I'm not one of those Cougars" I placed a hand on my chest...he seemed revealed. He sat next to me.

We sat quietly, watching the water from the fountain spray and hearing the water splash softly before it repeated its journey up the pipes.

" where are you from?" I asked him " you sound Australian" I added

He smiled looking ahead before nodding.

Silence.

"You're from London" he stated and I laughed

"That's very specific, usually people say England but yes...yes I am" I smiled breathing in the fresh but chilling air.

"What is it like there? If you don't mind me asking ma'am"

I shook my head " call me Elizabeth...ma'am is, weird to me" I watched as he looked at me curiously  before nodding "and you are?"

"Umm...l he scratched the back of his he's again "Jason"

"Nice to meet you Jason" I shook his hand and we both laughed " and to answer your question. London is..." I thought of a way to answer him. I mean yeah it's a beautiful city but it does have its down sides, with the drunk people at night, robbing and stabbing...but yet it was a place I enjoyed living in. its was...

"home"