6

I shot up in bed, sweat gathering on my forehead as my heart raced. I gasped for air while scanning the room, soon realising that I was ok, it was just a nightmare.

I dreamt that Felix had recaptured me seconds after being rescued and I was dragged to the blood drainers, hooked up with no means of escape. Despite kicking and screaming, none of Kai's people could hear me and the the Gladar aliens took it in turns to beat my semi-conscious body.

Unsure of where I was or how I got here, I wondered where Kai was. The last thing I remembered was resting my head on his shoulder as we flew away.

The bed I was in smelt just like him so I knew he'd been here. I stretched out my limbs with a yawn, noticing how incredibly large and comfortable the bed was. I sat up, rubbing my eyes.

If I got out of bed, there was no way I'd be able to get back in it again. I'd need a step ladder it was that high but I shuffled myself to the edge, dangling my legs over the side and jumped down anyway.

My bare feet were in heaven. The floor beneath me was soft, slighty squidgy and oh so warm. Who needs a bed with a floor like that?

I was almost certain that I was in Kai's bedroom. Looking up at the pale green walls, I studied the artwork that was hung upon them.

It was absolutely fantastic. It was mainly landscape paintings of what I assumed to be Kai's homeworld but one in particular caught my eye.

I walked over to it, slightly confused. It was a scene at the beach. There was a man, a woman and a moody looking teenager sticking her tongue out at her parents.

The thing that confused me though, was that I was the moody teenager and the man and woman were my parents. The painting was of the last memory I had of my parents. Hours after we left the beach that day, they both died in a car accident, the only survivor being me.

A tear grazed my cheek and a lump formed on my throat. This was the first time I'd seen a picture of my parents in a long time. The ones I had of them were all lost when I was passed around foster homes for five years.

I stood staring at the painting for quite some time before a whooshing sound from the bedroom door opening distracted me.

Kai walked in with a warm smile, carrying a small tray with what looked like food on it.

"How are you feeling?" He spoke softly as my stomach rumbled at the thought of food.

"Starving.. I mean great, I'm feeling great."

My eyes widened as I blushed. Starving? Why did I say starving?

"Well that's good news, I have food." A slight grin formed on his lips. Was he teasing me?

I peeked over at the tray.

"What is it?" I wondered.

"It's the closest thing to human food that we have. It's been rated as the best by the humans that live here."

"Humans live here?" He had my attention.

"Yes. Why don't you have something to eat and have a shower and then I'll explain everything."

That sounded amazing. The thought of having a shower and being properly clean instantly brightened my mood.

Kai was right about the food, it was amazing. It had incredible flavours that burst in my mouth and although it looked familiar, it was on another level.

The bathroom was surprisingly similar to what I was used to on Earth. The only difference was that it was bigger and the water pressure was immensely high. It was as if I was under a fast flowing waterfall and I didn't want to get out.