40

The night was going well so far.

Kai had relaxed and seemed to be enjoying himself. Kordin had kept his distance and Florna knew better than to get in his way.

Reela and Vin were absolutely wasted, as were Kiara and Atlas.

Everyone else was merry, enjoying themselves and as much as I was having fun too, tiredness was beginning to creep up on me.

"Daisy, come and dance with me." Kiara insisted, tugging on my arm as I stood talking to Reela.

"She's tired, Kiara." Kai laughed, lightly resting his arm over my shoulders.

"Just for a little bit. Please." She pouted, fluttering her long lashes.

"Next time, I promise."

"I'll hold you to that promise." She slurred her words, patting me on the head like I was a child.

I snorted a laugh as she walked away.

"She loves having you as her friend." Reela mumbled, swaying from side to side as Vin tried to hold her up.

"I love having her too." I looked over at Kiara, smiling fondly.

"She wants to build her house right next to yours."

Kai and I looked at each other, almost as if we knew what the other was thinking.

As much as I loved Kiara, I loved having no neighbours more.

"I think we'll talk about that when she's sober." Kai chortled, rubbing his hand over the back of his neck.

"How are things coming along with the human boy?" Reela asked, spilling her drink as she placed it down on a table.

"Not too bad." I quickly stated, feeling Kai tense up beside me.

"Hopefully he can go home soon then. I can't imagine what it must be like to be trapped on a planet when all you desire is to be back home. Poor guy." She muttered, before excusing herself.

"Shall we go?" I turned to face Kai.

His jaw was clenched, nostrils flared and I knew I had to get him home.

Why did Reela have to bring up Emrys? Kai seemed to be enjoying himself and now I was panicking that he was going to hurt someone.

Everyone was now dancing and I placed my hands on Kai's chest.

"Hey? Shall we go?" I repeated myself and he blinked his eyes looking down at me.

Nodding, he blew out a breath. "Let's say goodbye to Kiara first."

"Ok."

Kai held my hand and I squeezed it tightly around his.

Kiara was in the middle of everyone, and as we approached her, Benedict accidentally bumped into me, shoving me into Kai.

"Oops, sorry about that." He chuckled before turning around. "Oh, it's little Daisy. It's no wonder you get hurt so easily, are you alright?" He slurred his words, draping his arm over my shoulders.

"It's ok, I'm fine." I muttered, stepping out of his touch, and that's when Kai released his hand from mine.

Within seconds, Benedict was up against a wall, face to face with Kai as he gripped his shirt.

"Don't ever touch her again, do you understand me?" He growled.

I could see the fear in Benedict's eyes and instead of trying to stop Kai, I was frozen to the spot, watching everything unfold infront of me.