41

Waking up alone was torturous. I tossed and turned for most of the night, cried a lot and thought of nothing but Kai.

I was groggy and tired but I knew that I had to speak to him.

Dragging myself out of bed, I headed into the bathroom to relieve myself and freshen up.

I didn't dare look in the mirror, knowing full well that I'd look horrendous. Instead, I went back into the bedroom and quickly combed my hair, taking a few deep breaths before making my way down the stairs.

I was expecting Kai to be asleep on the sofa, but he wasn't. He wasn't even there.

Walking into the kitchen, he wasn't there either and my stomach churned when I saw an envolope on the table.

I stared at it for a moment before making myself a coffee. Taking my time, I kept peering over my shoulder, wishing that it would disappear.

I was afraid to go near it, reluctant to open it because I knew in my heart that it was Kai's goodbye.

I stirred my coffee, a lot longer than I needed to before sitting down at the table, the envelope infront of me.

If I just left it there and didn't touch it, whatever it contained would remain unknown. I could go about my day in the hope that I'd bump into Kai and whatever it was wouldn't matter.

Did I really want to bury my head in the sand and pretend that everything was fine? Yes, absolutely, but I knew that if I did, I'd only be prolonging the inevitable.

I placed my coffee down on the table and reluctantly picked up the envelope.

Blowing out a shaky breath, I slowly ran my finger along the edge, tearing it open to reveal a letter inside.

A lump formed in my throat and I swallowed it down as I pulled the letter out of the envelope.

It was folded neatly in half and a faint smell of Kai hit my senses when I opened it up.

A single tear rolled down my cheek when I read the first three words.

My dearest, Daisy

I wasn't sure I wanted to read the rest but I sucked it up and forced myself to find the will to carry on.

When I first met you, I was terrified that you would reject me and want nothing to do with me, but boy was I wrong!
You opened your heart and accepted me for who I was and embraced the soulmate bond completely, opening yourself up to me and my family.
I was astonished how quickly our bond grew, almost in an instant, like missing pieces of a puzzle, waiting to be reunited.
I knew that I was deeply in love with you the moment I laid my eyes on you, and to have your love reciprocated made me feel like I was on top of the world.
Unfortunately, I couldn't keep you safe and I failed to protect you on numerous occasions. First with Felix, then with Florna, again with Felix and then with Kordin and myself.
If you knew the severity of my actions and what it means to hurt your soulmate, then you would understand why I have no other option but to send you back to Earth.
I will never stop loving you for as long as I live and it breaks my heart to hurt you this way.
I am a coward for running away but without me there to distract you, I believe it will make your departure from Zandara a little bit easier.
I hope you can find it in your heart to one day forgive me and understand why I can't let this go.
I am a fool to think that I deserve you when I can't even protect you and I am ashamed of myself for not being a better soulmate.
Please take care of yourself and forget about me. You deserve to live a long and happy life and I'm sure that you'll find someone on Earth that will care for you better than I ever could.