15

Waking up alone was disappointing. I half expected Kai to be with me but then I remembered that his body clock worked on a completely different timeline than mine did.

My body couldn't handle the extra long days that his could and I knew that I'd have to figure out a new routine that would fit well alongside his.

I sat up in bed, rubbing my eyes as I yawned loudly. I shuffled to the edge, preparing for my decent but I stopped when I saw a step ladder.

It had three wide steps and a small handrail and my heart fluttered at Kai's thoughtful gesture.

A goofy smile appeared on my face as I carefully made my way down.

After brushing my teeth and freshening up, I followed my instincts to the living room where I found Kai and Kordin, deep in conversation.

They had their backs to me, so I turned around to avoid disrupting them but it seemed like I'd already caught Kai's attention.

"Don't make me chase after you." He called after me, stopping me in my tracks.

How he had managed to hear me was crazy. His hearing must be extraordinary because I was silent in my approach to the living room.

I slowly turned around to see them both looking at me. Kordin gave me a warm smile but Kai smirked, crossing his arms over his chest.

"I can come back later. I don't want to interrupt."

I felt awkward and I just knew that they were discussing something important.

"We were hoping to speak with you actually. You aren't interrupting in the slightest."

Kordin put me at ease, so I walked towards them, around the rectangle sofa and sat down beside Kai.

"Is everything ok?" I suddenly felt nervous. Why would they want to speak to me?

"Daisy, can you remember anything about the day you were abducted by the gladarians?" Kordin spoke softly.

"Umm, I. I don't.. I'm not.."

I panicked at the thought and I struggled to form any kind of sentence.

Is that who they discovered on their mission? Are they here? What do they want? How did they find us?

Kai took my hand in his, squeezing it gently while rubbing small circles on my wrist.

"Hey, Daisy, look at me. Calm down. You're safe with me." He must have sensed my dismay, soothing me with his touch.

I looked into his eyes. "Are they here?"

"We believe they may have followed us somehow, or tracked us after we left their ship."

"What? How?"

I could feel my heart pounding in my chest.

"We're not sure but we believe that they have multiple ships, spread across the universe, bleeding creatures of all kinds. They are inconspicuous, constantly on the move, unlike the ship that took you. They were sloppy and greedy, which is how we found them so easily but after our attack, they must have sent out a distress call."

"Why haven't they attacked us yet?"

"The technology that cloaks our planet disrupts any kind of tracking device and it expands far beyond our reach. The gladarians have stopped just beyond where our cloak ends, so they don't actually know our location. If we were followed, they would know where we are, which leads us to believe that there is a tracker, somewhere on Zandara."

Kordin spoke openly about what they knew and I appreciated his honesty and not sugar coating the situation.

I sucked in a deep breath.