16

My mind was awake but I felt like I was detached from my body, fighting hard to open my eyes and wiggle my fingers and toes with no luck.

I knew I was lay down, presumably on a bed and I could hear hushed voices around me.

Filtering though each voice carefully, I found Kai's. He was talking to the medic but I couldn't make out what he was saying.

Someone had just covered me with a blanket but I was too hot. I wanted to kick my legs to get it off me but the more I tried, the heavier my body became.

What was happening to me?

I took in a deep breath and attempted to speak and yet again, nothing came out.

Was I dreamung? Nothing made sense.

Kai? In a last ditch attempt to be heard, I reached out to Kai with my mind, praying that he'd hear me.

Daisy?

Thank god. He heard me!

Kai, I can't move, what's happening? I'm scared.

I felt him touch my head, tucking my hair behind my ear.

You lost consciousness. The medic performed an indepth scan of the explosive so we had a better understanding of what we were dealing with.

Why can't I move?

Because we had to operate to remove the explosive and keep you sedated while we fix your spine.

My spine? I was now in a full blown panic.

The explosive was embedded in your spine and when the medic attempted to remove it, it detonated and shattered your lumbar region.

What the fuck?

What does that mean? Am I going to be ok? My heart raced in my chest, thumping rapidly as I focused on my breathing.

Haldon is preparing the bone regeneration pod. It will take time but you will have to rest until you're healed. Sedating you was the safest option, I'm so sorry Daisy.

I'm too hot. I can't feel my body and I'm too hot. I can't even open my god damn eyes. I'm too hot Kai. I need to open my eyes. I worked myself into a frenzy, panicked and gripped with anxiety.

I heard Kai calling my name, trying to calm me but he couldn't. Then I heard Haldon beside me while Kai was yelling at him.

A sharp prick stung my neck and a moment later, I felt nothing as I drifted off to sleep.

Furious was an understatement of how I felt. I shouldn't have had decisions made for me and Haldon had no right to sedate me without my consent.

Kai and I would need to have a conversation about my rights when I'm fully conscious and Haldon will be getting a piece of my mind too.

I was roused from my sleep by a light snoring beside me. I knew that it was Kai from his unmistakable scent and as I opened my eyes I saw that I was in a pod, lay on a thin mat on the floor.

Kai was sleeping, his hair disheveled and a creased brow was fixed on his face. He looked like he was having a nightmare, so I moved my hand and placed it on top of his, rubbing my thumb over his knuckles.

His bloodshot eyes pinged open, scanning my body and face. He looked exhausted and I wondered how long I'd been in here.

"Hey." I smiled. "You look frazzled."