36

I felt like Kai and I had reconnected. A quick ten minutes to relieve our tension had done wonders for the both of us.

He had taken me to a part of the medical centre that was only used for the likes of the monarchy, so we had a fully functioning room and an ensuite to ourselves.

After freshening up, we headed to the kitchen so that Kai could have a pre-lunch snack.

It was unusual for the medical centre to be busy due to the zaviours possessing such well equipped first aid kits at home, so it was no surprise to find the kitchen barely staffed.

"Why do you have a medical centre if it doesn't have many patients?" I asked Kai as I lent against the kitchen side.

"Not all zaviours can heal themselves at home, especially the elderly. It isn't always this quiet, in the winter months, it tends to get alot busier with old people and children. Their bodies don't work as well as everyone else's and they can contract illnesses that a healing pod cannot heal."

"So Haldon stays here all year round with barely anything to do?"

"No. There's another guy that he alternates with every few months and there are other medics that come in and assist each day so that he's never alone. There's usually around twenty patients at any one time so he has plenty to do."

"Oh. It's just so quiet, I didn't think there was anyone else here, other that Emrys."

Kai sat down with his snacks and I looked up into his eyes as I sat beside him.

"You're going to let Florna go then?" I asked, unsure if he meant what he said.

"Will I get to spend more time with you and have conversations instead of silence?" He asked, his face serious, as was his tone.

"I will spend every available second with you. And if I don't need to dash between here and there, then we should have plenty of time to do.. other things too." I grinned.

"I like other things." He chuckled, causing me to blush.

Thinking about it, I found things too easy. Surely Kai could handle some time apart without the need to drop Florna's case. He hated her with a passion so it didn't make sense.

"Is that really the reason that you've decided to drop your case against her?"

"You are my reason." He smiled sweetly.

"That may be true but I feel like it isn't the whole truth. I don't think you'd just drop it so easily without a fight. Is there another reason why you are reluctantly letting the woman who almost had me killed have a second chance to redeem herself?"

Kai exhaled loudly, taking my hands in his.

"I've been thinking about you and your kindness. The way you see the good in people and want to help them despite their flaws is truely heart warming. You are incredibly selfless despite everything you've been through and it made me think about what's actually important. You are my world. Your happiness and your health are my priority and I don't want you to have to stress over anything more than necessary. If you can find it in your heart to forgive Florna then who am I to fight against you? I won't ever forgive her but if it takes away some of your worries and stress then I will do what I can to minimise it."

So it wasn't the fact that we hadn't spoken last night or the fact that I left him at home this morning? He really cared about me. He truely was, one in a billion.

I squeezed his hands, a warmth swirling inside me and I gazed into his eyes feeling nothing but love.

Hopping off my chair, I reached up and wrapped my arms around him, nuzzling my face in his neck.