5

The rest of the day went agonisingly slow. Not knowing what was happening was driving me crazy and when Kai left to go back into the blood drainers, I wished I had asked him more questions.

Knowing that everyone in the treatment room was fully conscious made me feel safe but now that I was alone, back in my room, loneliness kicked in, big time.

The urge to run to Kai was overwhelming. I found myself counting the beans in my bowl to keep my mind off of him but it wasn't working very well.

I was eager to see him again, a million questions bursting for answers but for now, I had no choice but to wait.

Lights out came and time slowly ticked on. No matter how tired I was, my mind wouldn't settle. I knew I was in for a long night and by the time morning came, my eyes stung as the bright lights filled my room along with the headache inducing alarm.

Despite my lack of sleep, I was full of energy and almost ran to the treatment room.

To my dismay, Kai wasn't there. Felix, on the other hand, greeted me with a wide smile.

"Good morning, Daisy. How are you today?" How very odd. He had never greeted me like this before but then I remembered he was a Gladar alien in disguise and was secretly ecstatic with his new 'blood donors'.

"Erm, I'm fine." I muttered.

Keeping up my moody facade was harder than I thought it would be.

What I really wanted to say was, 'Good morning Felix, I am very well, thank you. Knowing that you and your disgraceful Gladarians will soon be out of my life and your blood draining days are almost over makes me want to sing from the rooftops.'

But a simple 'I'm fine' would have to suffice.

It wasn't long before a change over of patients happened and when my eyes found Kai, a rush of relief washed over me.

It irritated me when Felix took charge of Kai's side of the room but when a soft voice entered my mind, a calm enveloped me.

Hey, beautiful. We're out of here tonight.

Pausing for a moment to keep my composure, I turned my back to Felix, a grin forming as my lips curled up.

I felt a mixture of excitement, adrenaline, fear, anxiety and god knows what else.

Hey, Kai. Is there anything I can do to help?

Stay in your room and don't come out. Things could get ugly, quickly and I can't have you getting caught in the crossfire. I'll find you, don't look for me. Can you do that for me Daisy?

Yes, absolutely. Are you sure you guys will be ok?

We've got this. We're stronger, hard to kill and have built in force fields. The Gladarians know nothing about us but we've known about them for months. Our attack will take them by surprise, they're not prepared for what's to come.

I couldn't believe that today was the day I got to leave this hell hole. I was tired of being beaten, forced to make people better just so they could die, tired of being alone, hungry, a slave to evil.

Today was going to be the best day of my entire life.

Waiting for the day to come to an end felt like a lifetime. Whenever Felix left the room, I whispered good luck and thank you to everyone.

A glimpse of a smirk on one of the girls faces made me chuckle for the first time in months.

Tiredness was creeping up on me, yawn after yawn more frequently than the last but with every second that passed, I knew it wouldn't be long before I could rest.